Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Life in jail 'best sentence' for kidnapper

30 July 2013, 16:08

Washington - A life behind bars is just punishment for Ariel Castro, who has pleaded guilty to kidnapping three women and holding them as sex slaves for a decade, his son said on Monday.

"I think it's the best possible sentence," Anthony Castro told NBC television's Today programme, three days after his 53-year-old-father entered a guilty plea in an Ohio court and accepted a life sentence.

"I think if he can't control his impulses, and he really doesn't have any value for human life ... then behind bars is the way he belongs for the rest of his life," he said.

Castro was arrested on 6 May after 27-year-old missing woman Amanda Berry managed to escape from his home in Cleveland along with a young child she bore in captivity.

Police arrived at the scene and rescued Michelle Knight, aged 32, and Gina DeJesus, aged 23, from the house. All three had been kidnapped separately, held at the house, chained up and repeatedly raped.

By agreeing on Friday to a prison term of more than 1 000 years on top of the life sentence, Castro dodged the risk of the death penalty.

His son remembered him as "incredibly strict" and temperamental: "He wasn't, you know, a monster 24/7, but if you crossed him, there would be consequences. Those, more often than not, would be physical consequences."

He also said he has no plans to visit his father in prison, stating: "I have no trust in him. I can't see myself going to visit him and giving him the opportunity to face me and lie to me again."



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...