Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Japan 'misspent' tsunami rebuilding money

01 November 2012, 14:16

Tokyo - Cash earmarked for tsunami reconstruction work was diverted to unrelated projects, a Japanese government audit shows, as residents of the devastated northeast vent frustration over the slow pace of rebuilding.

Parts of the $187bn were used to fund an array of unconnected works, including road-building on the southern island of Okinawa and boosting security for Japan's controversial whale hunt.

Around $100m was used to buy rare earths, key components for high-tech products such as electric cars and smartphones, and around $53m used to send disaster-prevention equipment to Southeast Asian countries.

The March 2011 earthquake-triggered tsunami killed nearly 19 000 people in one of Japan's worst peace-time disasters, which also left it grappling with a nuclear emergency at Fukushima.

Nearly 20 months on, more than 300 000 people are still living in temporary homes, either because they have been unable to rebuild after the tsunami or because radiation levels around the nuclear plant mean it is unsafe to return.

Politicians from the devastated northeast repeatedly express exasperation at the slow pace of reconstruction and a lack of leadership from Tokyo.


An official from Fukushima prefecture said needs in the area around the crippled nuclear plant were not being met.

"We need lots of money for decontamination of radiation, but the implementation of budgeted projects tends to be delayed," Chizuo Hayashi, from the Fukushima reconstruction bureau, said on Thursday.

"We residents in the disaster-hit area hope the reconstruction budget will be used primarily for rebuilding our communities," he added.

The figures came in a government-commissioned 141-page audit released last week detailing 192 public projects purportedly aimed at reconstruction and disaster prevention.

"The purpose of the report is to expose to the eyes of the public details of the budgeted projects," board of audit official Tetsuya Hosokawa said on Thursday.

"We didn't say which projects were appropriate and which were not, but following criticism by media and the public, each ministry may review their budgeted projects," he said.

The report shows the foreign ministry spent $53m in providing disaster-prevention equipment to Southeast Asian countries in the year to March.

Staff shortage

It also spent $2.1m strengthening visa-screening processes for foreigners visiting Japan.

The industry ministry was awarded $2.6m for an exhibition on "advanced forms of agriculture, forestries and fishery in Tokyo and other places".

The audit report said only half of the money set aside for reconstruction had actually been spent, blaming a shortage of staff in local municipalities.

In December last year the government admitted around $28.8m from the fund was being used to boost security around its much criticised whale hunt.

On Thursday, Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda said his administration was looking at the budget's priorities.

"The government as a whole will pay close attention to the needs of disaster-hit areas," he told parliament.

The audit revelations are reminiscent of the worst years of Japan's pork-barrel politics that observers say have left the countryside littered with useless bridges and barely-used roads that go nowhere.


Tags japan

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...