Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Japan divers heading home after Bali ordeal

20 February 2014, 11:24

Denpasar - Four Japanese scuba divers who went missing off Bali for three days left hospital on Thursday and prepared to return home, as they revealed they were "swallowed by big waves" during a terrifying ordeal at sea.

The women, among seven who disappeared after setting off for a diving expedition on Friday, bowed deeply to reporters and apologised for causing any trouble as they were discharged from hospital in the Balinese capital Denpasar.

It came as rescuers scoured the coast of the Indonesian resort island for one last day to find a diver who is still missing.

Five of the Japanese divers have so far been rescued while the body of a sixth was found floating near a beach.

The rescued divers suffered sunburn and dehydration but no serious injuries, although they have been left mentally "devastated", according to a Japanese official on Bali.

Exhaustion, thirst

In a joint statement, the four women discharged on Thursday said they worked hard to keep each others' spirits up after huge waves and storms pushed them onto rocks, miles from where they had set off.

"We told each other that we will go home alive. We encouraged each other by saying we could keep going because we had already survived drifting in the water for 28 hours," they said.

They set off Friday from Nusa Lembongan Island, just east of Bali, but soon got lost. After drifting for a long time, they were slammed against rocks near the coast and were "swallowed by big waves three to four times".

Four of them managed to clamber onto some rocks in a remote area off Nusa Penida Island, which is next to Nusa Lembongan, on Saturday.

They sheltered themselves from the harsh sun during the day and climbed up to the highest point to flash distress lights at night, fighting all the time against exhaustion and thirst.

"We were exhausted. We couldn't get any water on the first day as it was sunny. On the second day, we collected rain water in our fins to quench our thirst. We also collected rain water in plastic bottles picked up from garbage," they said.

They were rescued by boat Monday in the Manta Point area off Nusa Penida, some 20km from where they set off.

A fifth diver, Bali-based instructor Saori Furukawa, was picked up by helicopter nearby and has already been discharged from hospital.

The four women who left hospital on Thursday would board a flight back to Japan later in the day, Japanese consular official Kenichi Takeyama told AFP.

"They are physically well but mentally, they are devastated," he added.

Japan's Kyodo news agency named the women discharged as: Emi Yamamoto; Atsumi Yoshidome; Aya Morizono; and Nahomi Tomita.

According to the agency, the dead woman is Ritsuko Miyata and the missing diver is Shoko Takahashi.


Tags bali japan

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...