Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Iraq official: ISIS siege of Mount Sinjar broken

19 December 2014, 08:28

Fishkhabur - A broad peshmerga operation backed by US-led air strikes broke the Islamic State group's weeks-old siege of Iraq's Mount Sinjar on Thursday, a top Iraqi Kurdistan security official said.

"Peshmerga forces have reached Mount Sinjar, the siege on the mountain has been lifted," Masrour Barzani, the chancellor of the Kurdistan Regional Security Council, told reporters from an operations centre near the border with Syria.

A Yazidi leader atop the mountain however said he could see no sign of a military deployment and a peshmerga commander explained that any evacuation would only begin on Friday.

A statement from Barzani's office said the operation launched by the peshmerga on Wednesday morning had been one of the most successful so far against the Islamic State (ISIS) group.

It said the siege was broken at 15:30 GMT and was the conclusion of an operation involving 8 000 peshmerga forces.

"This operation represents the single biggest military offensive against ISIS and the most successful," the statement said.

It also said that, as a result, jihadist fighters had fled en masse towards strongholds such as Tall Afar and Mosul, Iraq's second city and the main ISIS hub in northern Iraq.

Barzani told reporters the peshmerga push had cut key supply lines used by ISIS and reclaimed a total of 700 square kilometres during the past two days.

A devastating jihadist attack on the Yazidi minority's Sinjar heartland in August displaced tens of thousands of people and was one of the reasons put forward by US President Barack Obama for launching strikes four months ago.

'Corridor secured'

Amid fears of a genocide against the small Kurdish-speaking minority, tens of thousands of Yazidis fled to the mountain and remained trapped there in the searing summer heat with no supplies.

Kurdish fighters, mostly Syrian, broke that first siege but remaining anti-ISIS forces were subsequently unable to hold positions in the plains and retreated back to the mountain in late September.

The peshmerga commander for the area said troops had reached the mountain and secured a road that would enable people to leave, effectively breaking the siege.

"Tomorrow most of the people will come down from the mountain," Mohamed Kojar told AFP by phone, explaining the offensive had secured a corridor northeast of the mountain.

Also read: Malala 'Heartbroken' about attack in Pakistan

Dawood Jundi, a peshmerga field commander based on the mountain, also said the road had been secured but said some pockets of ISIS presence near the peshmerga advance remained to be cleared.

Said Hassan Said, a Yazidi politician also based on the mountain, for his part said he could see no sign that the siege had been broken.

"I'm on top of the mountain right now, I can see all areas from my position," he said. "There are no clashes, no movements, there is no deployment of peshmerga I can see."

Said put the number of families on the mountain at 1 200 and stressed they were surviving on fast dwindling supplies.

Speaking to reporters near the Fishkhabur border crossing with Syria, about 80km northwest of the mountain, Barzani said the operation had a key road used by ISIS fighters east of their main Iraqi hub of Mosul.


Tags isis iraq

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Quit if you can't fight corruptio...

An MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta to quit office if he cannot fight corruption. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Investigate Uhuru, Ruto for corru...

Investigate President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto's offices over corruption, CORD leader Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...