Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Iran - Britain vows 'consequences'

30 November 2011, 10:05

London - Foreign Minister William Hague said Britain took the storming of its embassy in Tehran on Tuesday "extremely seriously" and warned there would be "further and serious consequences" for Iran.

Hague said the assault on the embassy and another diplomatic compound in Tehran by young men chanting "Death to Britain" was a "grave breach" of the Vienna Convention which requires host countries to protect diplomats.

"The United Kingdom takes this irresponsible action extremely seriously," he said.

"We hold the Iranian government responsible for its failure to take adequate measures to protect our embassy, as it is required to do.

"I spoke to the Iranian foreign minister this afternoon, to protest in the strongest terms about these events and to demand immediate steps to ensure the safety of our staff and of both embassy compounds."


Hague said in a statement that although the Iranian foreign minister had apologised, "this remains a very serious failure by the Iranian government".

"Clearly there will be other, further, and serious consequences," Hague said, adding that he would make a statement to the British parliament on Wednesday.

British Prime Minister David Cameron chaired a meeting of the government's crisis committee in response to the storming, which has raised tensions with the West over Iran's contested nuclear programme.

France, the European Union and Russia - Iran's closest ally - have condemned the attack on the British facilities.

Six British diplomats held for more than two hours by hundreds of protesters inside a British diplomatic compound in the north of Tehran were freed when police intervened.

Hague said: "On our latest information it now appears that all our staff and their dependants are accounted for."


But he added British officials were still "urgently establishing" if all the locally hired security staff were safe.

Hague also repeated advice given earlier in the day that the "small number" of British nationals in Iran should stay indoors and await further instructions.

Dozens of protesters were shown on Iranian state television throwing stones at embassy windows, breaking them, and one was seen climbing the wall of the compound carrying a looted portrait of Britain's Queen Elizabeth II.

The attack comes amid heightened tensions following Iran's decision to pass a law to expel the British ambassador to Tehran in retaliation for new British sanctions that cut off all ties with Iran's financial sector.

The sanctions were part of a coordinated raft of measures announced on November 14 by Britain, the United States and Canada to increase pressure on Iran to halt its nuclear programme.

Iran insists it is not developing a nuclear weapon and that the programme is purely for energy purposes.


Join in the conversation on News24 Kenya’s Facebook page.

Get the latest news by following us on Twitter.


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
George Vodongo
China to help Kenya fight high le...

China observed that if left unchecked, corruption could see the country degenerate into lawlessness. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Signs that he is seeing someone e...

When a man wants to be with you, he will always create time to be with you. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Spat between DP Ruto and Boniface...

A close associate of the DP, Hon Njogu Barua made an alarming comment on live TV Tuesday morning. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Matatu driver who drugged, robbed...

The driver of a Nissan matatu who over the weekend drugged and robbed a female passenger in Nairobi has been charged. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Heavy police contingent deployed ...

More police officers were on Monday deployed at Likoni in Mombasa County in a security operation to nab members of the ‘Wakali Kwanza’ and ‘Mtalia’ criminal gangs who have been terrorizing locals in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Man released on Presidential amne...

He was caught taking money from a church offering bag at Ol Jabet Independent Pentecostal Church in Laikipia West on October 23. Read more...