ISIS second in command killed in US air strike
14 October 2015, 08:17
Beirut - The Islamic State has confirmed in
an audio recording that the group's second in command was killed in a
US air strike earlier this year.
"Americans were overjoyed with the killing of Abu Mutaz al Qurashi
and thought it was a victory ... we tell them he did not die. He has
left heroes to fight the Americans and their allies," spokesperson Abu Mohamed
al-Adnani said in an audio recording posted on the ISIS-affiliated website al-Furqan.
The US announced on August 21 that Qurashi, also known as Fadhil
Ahmad al-Hayali, was killed on August 18 in a US air strike near the
northern Iraqi city of Mosul.
Al Adnani did not say when or where al Qurashi was killed.
In a 40-minute audio message the spokesperson vowed to fight American
and Russian forces, both of which are targeting Islamic State
fighters in Syria.
"The soldiers of the Islamic State are waiting for you ... our forces
are getting stronger by the day and you Americans are getting weaker
and weaker ... we are there waiting for you on the ground," he said.
The announcement came two days after the Iraqi army said that its air
force had struck a convoy with Islamic State leader Abu Bakr
al-Baghdadi in an area controlled by the extremist militia in western
Al Adnani, touching on the fighting inside Syria, warned Islamist
rebels against fighting his jihadist group, calling on them to repent
and join his forces, pledging "to kill all groups and smash armies"
The Islamic State controls large swathes of Syria and neighbouring
Iraq and has set up an Islamic "caliphate" in areas they took control
of and imposed strict Islamic rules.