ISIS claims suicide attack on Saudi mosque
29 May 2015, 18:04
Dubai - The Islamic State jihadist group claimed a Friday suicide bombing on a Shiite mosque in Saudi Arabia, the second attack on Shiite worshipers in the kingdom in a week.
The bombing killed three people and was carried out by "soldier of the caliphate Abu Jandal al-Jazrawi," said an IS statement distributed by jihadist accounts on Twitter.
It said the bomber managed to "reach the target despite heavy protection" outside the Al-Anoud mosque in the coastal city of Dammam, in the Sunni kingdom's Shiite-populated east.
ISIS already claimed a similar bombing in Saudi Arabia last week that killed 21 people and group sympathisers are accused by Saudi authorities of gunning down seven members of the minority Shiite community in November.
The group's statement urged supporters to "cleanse" Saudi Arabia from Shiite Muslims and "their apostate protectors" ruling the kingdom.
Saudi Arabia is taking part in a US-led coalition pounding IS in Syria and Iraq, and is leading another alliance of Arab countries hitting Shiite rebels and their allies in neighbouring Yemen.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!