Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


ISIS claims UN Baghdad bomb attack

18 November 2014, 09:32

Baghdad - The Islamic State jihadist group on Monday claimed responsibility for a suicide car bomb attack against a UN convoy near Baghdad airport.

"Our brother Abu Muawiya al-Falluji rammed a convoy for the 'United Nations waging war against Muslims' surrounded by heavy US protection," the group said in a statement.

The name given for the suicide attacker suggests he was an Iraqi from the insurgent stronghold of Fallujah, which lies around 40km west of Baghdad.

In its statement, ISIS claimed Sunday's attack had left many dead and alleged the Iraqi government had taken away the bodies of US personnel.

Also read: US airstrikes target ISIS near Baghdad

"The convoy was strictly a UN convoy, there was nobody who isn't UN staff," a press officer for the UN mission in Iraq said.

The world body's top envoy in Iraq said on Sunday that no UN staff member was wounded in the blast.

A police officer said three people were injured.

The UN press officer said the attack was the first in a long time against the United Nations, which pulled out of Iraq for several years after a devastating bombing against its Baghdad headquarters in August 2003.


Tags un isis iraq us

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...