Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Hope fades for typhoon Bopha survivors

11 December 2012, 12:04

Manila - Rescuers were losing hope on Tuesday of finding nearly 900 people missing after a typhoon struck the southern Philippines last week, killing 714 people.

Typhoon Bopha, the strongest cyclone to hit the Philippines this year, slammed into the southern region of Mindanao on 4 December, triggering widespread floods and landslides that wiped out entire villages.

Rescuers have not found survivors for the past three days, and officials said they feared they would discover only bodies one week after the typhoon.

"We can no longer say that we can recover many survivors," said Major General Ariel Bernardo, an army division commander overseeing the emergency operations. "What we may recover are bodies."

"There is little chance" of finding more survivors, he said.

The Office of Civil Defence said 890 people were still reported missing from the disaster while 714 were confirmed killed in the floods and landslides. More than 1 900 were injured and 110 rescued.

More than 5.4 million people were affected by the typhoon, including 116 404 residents staying in cramped evacuation centres.

On Monday, the United Nations appealed for $65m in emergency aid to provide food, water and emergency shelter to the victims.

Bopha damaged infrastructure and agriculture worth more than $173m, including more than 70 000 homes and several banana plantations, the Office of Civil Defence said.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...