Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Hong Kong makes biggest counterfeits bust in a decade

06 August 2015, 17:16

Hong Kong - Hong Kong authorities said Thursday they had made the biggest suspected counterfeit goods seizure in ten years, of over 30,000 items including sneakers, handbags and perfumes.

Customs officials said the seizure was the largest in a decade in terms of quantity and worth around HK$3 million ($387,051).

Hong Kong is a popular destination for counterfeit goods with locals and tourists buying fake items ranging from headphones to luxury brand watches.

Also read: Unlicensed surgeon accused of mutilating man's penis

Some of the items were obviously counterfeit goods, with handbags which had the Chanel logo misspelled "Cnanel", along with copies of Converse sneakers, luxury branded perfumes, sunglasses, and digital watches.

"The operation made a record seizure in terms of quantity among similar cases in a decade," a government statement said Thursday, adding that customs and police "successfully smashed" the syndicate suspected of selling the goods and arrested three people.

The operation was carried out last month at two locations where goods were being sold in the southern Chinese city at 10 percent of the cost of the genuine item, Cable Television News reported.

Authorities in the city often carry out operations against the sale of counterfeit goods, with a similar operation in January netting 3,900 pieces of suspected counterfeit items with a total value of HK$3.37 million.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...