Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Hajj pilgrimage ends without incident

29 October 2012, 16:29

Mecca - Muslim pilgrims completed their final hajj rituals in the Saudi city of Mecca on Monday as the annual pilgrimage came to a close without any major incidents.

The Saudi authorities congratulated the pilgrims, who officially numbered 3.1 million, on a "successful" hajj season, despite a large number having entered holy sites without proper permits.

"Everything went very well," Mecca governor Prince Khaled al-Faisal told reporters on Sunday, adding that this year's pilgrimage was "the most successful hajj season ever".

Last year, nearly three million Muslim pilgrims went on the hajj, one of the five pillars of Islam which must be performed at least once in a lifetime by all Muslims who are able to do so.

Officials said about 120 000 police were deployed throughout the five-day pilgrimage, along with an equal number of health and sanitation employees, in what is considered the largest annual human gathering on earth.

According to Saudi Health Minister Abdullah al-Rabia, the hajj passed without the spread of any major illness or epidemic.

Stone-throwing rituals

In September, the UN health agency confirmed a mystery illness from the same virus family as the deadly SARS had caused the death of a Saudi national, though Saudi health authorities at the time downplayed the chances of an outbreak of the illness at the hajj.

The last remaining hajj pilgrims performed the stone-throwing rituals on Monday in the Mina valley where they hurled rocks at three pillars representing Satan.

They then headed to Mecca to perform the farewell circumambulation of the Kaaba, the cube-shaped structure at the Grand Mosque towards which Muslims worldwide pray, before leaving the kingdom.

Though marred in the past by deadly incidents including floods, stampedes and fires, the hajj has become nearly incident-free in recent years because of multi-billion dollar projects.

This year alone, the kingdom spent more than $293.3m on development projects in the holy sites of Mina, Arafat and Muzdalifah, all outside Mecca.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Natural aphrodisiacs to boost lib...

It is advisable to take them before sex in order to achieve maximum benefit. Read more...

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
Raila has lost his remaining bull...

He added that Jubilee and Cord are like day and night. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Mudavadi of no value to CORD, say...

Leader of Majority in National Assembly, Adan Duale has said that ANC leader Musalia Mudavadi is of no value to CORD. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Peter Kenneth will not run for Pr...

He clarified that he will not run for Presidency in 2017 as he supports Uhuru Kenyatta’s re-election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Exams should not have political g...

He also said that school properties must not ‘carry any political portraits’. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Matatu crew drugs female passenge...

Hours after the story was circulated on social media Sunday, the crew was traced at Dagoretti and arrested. Read more...