Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Guam ups alert level after N Korea threats

11 April 2013, 10:02

Hagatna - Guam has raised its official threat level and on Thursday tested its emergency alert system after warnings from North Korea identifying the island as a potential missile target.

With a North Korean missile test expected at any time, authorities said the US territory in the western Pacific was on yellow alert, the middle phase of a three-step "traffic light" system comprising green, yellow and red levels.

"This means we should continue with our daily lives while preparing ourselves for any potential of an emergency," the government said in a statement, describing the risk to the island as "medium".

"It also means the government pulls its resources together through the emergency operations centre to ensure we are prepared to respond to emergencies."

Guam's emergency alert system, which sets off sirens across the island and interrupts regular television and radio broadcasts to deliver information, was tested at 10:00 (0000 GMT) on Thursday.

Governor Eddie Calvo said the test had been successful and the Guam Department of Homeland Security's joint information centre was now operating 24-hours a day to provide advice to the island's population of 180 000.

‘Good-enough missile interceptors’

Homeland Security has described the chances of a North Korean attack as remote, noting that Guam "is protected by the greatest nation and military in the world, the United States of America".

But as a precaution, it launched a campaign this week urging residents to prepare emergency kits and family disaster plans.

Fact sheets have been distributed around the island advising residents on how to protect their families, stay informed and perform tasks such as blast-proofing doors and windows with plastic and tape.

Calvo said he had received assurances from US military commanders on the island, which bristles with American military facilities and bases, that defences were "strong and adequate".

"Even though we're protected, it's important we are vigilant," he said. "Look at the fact sheets, be prepared and stay tuned for news coming out of the joint information centre."

Guam, which came under US control in 1898 after the Spanish-American War, lies about 3 380km southeast of North Korea, meaning it is theoretically in range of Pyongyang's untested Musudan missiles.

Washington has scrambled to deploy its THAAD (Terminal High Altitude Area Defense) missile shield to Guam, a truck-mounted system capable of tracking and shooting down an enemy projectile.

Despite Pyongyang's menacing rhetoric, many islanders say their daily life has not been disrupted by the threat of a missile strike.

"At home, we discuss it from time to time but we are not making any preparations because we know that it's just sabre-rattling," Gina Tabonares-Reilly told AFP earlier this week.

"There are good enough missile interceptors underneath our waters... North Korea knows that and they are smart [enough] not to commit suicide."



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...