Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Govt retakes Alawite village in central Syria

18 February 2014, 20:00

Beirut - Syrian government forces seized a village inhabited by a minority Alawite community from Islamist fighters in a central province on Tuesday, state media said.

Insurgents including fighters from Ahrar al-Sham, Jund al-Aqsa and other Islamist groups had taken control of the village of Maan in the central province of Hama a few days earlier.

Residents of Maan, around 8km east of Syria's main north-south highway, are from the Alawite minority, an offshoot of Shi'ite Islam considered heretical by some hardline Islamists.

The army entered Maan "to eliminate the last group of terrorists who had infiltrated it and committed a massacre against its residents," Syria's state news agency Sana said.

There were no immediate reports of casualties from the most recent battle, but Sana said dozens of residents, mostly women and children, had been killed when the militants entered Maan earlier in the month.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a monitoring group, said Islamist rebels had killed 20 civilians and at least 25 fighters from a pro-government National Defence Force militia when they first seized the village on 9 February.

It was not possible to verify the reports independently due to restrictions on the media in Syria.

Rebels fighting to overthrow Assad are overwhelmingly from the country's Sunni Muslim majority, backed by Islamist and jihadi fighters from across the Islamic world.

More than 140 000 people, including civilians, rebel fighters and Assad's forces, have been killed in nearly three years of conflict.

The country's infrastructure has also suffered severe damage.

Sana reported on Tuesday that the north-western provinces of Tartous, Hama, Latakia, Idlib and Aleppo had lost electricity following attacks on high-tension power lines.

The Electricity Ministry said it was working to secure alternative sources of energy while technicians completed repairs.

- Reuters


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
William Korir
Machakos no longer a CORD zone, M...

Machakos is now a Jubilee Party zone and no longer CORD, Governor Alfred Mutua says. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
REVEALED: Why Kalonzo attacked Uh...

There was no holding back for CORD co principal Kalonzo Musyoka as he spoke his mind during Mashujaa Day celebrations in Machakos. But why? Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
I will step down if I lose in 201...

President Uhuru Kenyatta says that he is ready to step down from office if he loses the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
President renews calls for nation...

President Uhuru Kenyatta has called on Kenyans to instead focus on unity, cohesion and prosperity as the country approaches the campaigns period. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
What causes cellulite?

Cellulite usually affects the thighs, buttocks, waist and upper arms.  Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
IEBC selection panel settles on B...

The panel appointed by President Uhuru Kenyatta to recruit new IEBC commissioners has picked Bernadette Musundi as its chairperson. Read more...