Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Frankfurt denies cameras failed in attack

07 March 2011, 15:01

Berlin - Frankfurt Airport on Monday denied a media report that security cameras malfunctioned in last week's attack on US troops by an alleged Islamist extremist that killed two airmen.

"The cameras here worked, and the footage recorded has been given to the investigators," Thomas Uber, a spokesperson for airport operator Fraport, said, in response to a report in the Die Welt daily that they had failed.

Kosovan Arid U, aged 21, on Wednesday shot dead the two airmen and seriously injured two others after boarding their military bus, shouting "Allahu Akhbar" ("God is Greatest") as he did so, according to German federal prosecutors.

He then allegedly put his handgun to a fifth serviceman but it jammed. Pursued by this serviceman, he fled into the terminal building where he was overpowered and arrested.

Prosecutors said on Friday that he told investigators the attack, which if confirmed as such would be the first Islamic extremist attack on German soil, was to avenge what he saw as atrocities by US troops in Afghanistan.

There are however no indications that the alleged gunman, whom investigators believe was radicalised in large part via the Internet, had links to any "international terrorist groups", prosecutors believe.

Late on Thursday, the US Air Force identified the dead servicemen as Senior Airman Nicholas Alden, aged 25, of Williamston, South Carolina, and Airman First Class Zachary Cuddeback, aged 21, of Stanardsville, Virginia.

Meanwhile, the head of the German Police Union, Rainer Wendt, has called for 2 000 additional staff to monitor extremist websites.

A month ago German authorities had announced that additional security measures imposed late last year in response to indications of an imminent "terrorist" attack were set to be gradually scaled back.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...