Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


France's Sarkozy hit by new phone tap leaks

13 July 2014, 10:29

Paris - A corruption scandal surrounding former French president Nicolas Sarkozy deepened further on Saturday with fresh leaks of telephone conversations purporting to show he offered to get a judge a plum job in return for favours.

Sarkozy, who was charged two weeks ago with corruption and influence peddling in a case related to his campaign to win the presidency in 2007, claims he is the victim of a "grotesque" set-up.

He accuses his enemies of using the justice system to undermine a possible political comeback.

But according to extracts from tapped calls published by the French daily Le Monde on Saturday that a judicial source confirmed to AFP, the ex-president appeared to lobby for a job for the judge in Monaco in return for his help on one of six bribery and funding scandals in which Sarkozy is embroiled.

In intercepted mobile phone calls with his longtime lawyer Thierry Herzog - who also faces charges - Sarkozy is alleged to have said, "I will help him [the judge]... I will get him set up," adding, "Call him today and tell him I will sort it out. I am going to Monaco and I will see the prince [Albert]."

The conversations are alleged to have taken place in February this year on a mobile phone the 59-year-old politician bought using a false name.

Sarkozy's lawyer Pierre Haik declined to comment to AFP on the new leaks, the latest in a series of damaging revelations to have hit Sarkozy since he left power.

The senior magistrate at the centre of the case, Gilbert Azibert, has been charged with illegally passing on information about the a long-running political funding scandal involving the billionaire L'Oreal heiress, Liliane Bettencourt.

Azibert did not get the position in Monaco, a principality on the Riviera which is largely dependent on France, and has applied to retire.

In another alleged extract, Sarkozy told his lawyer to tell the judge that he was meeting that day with Monaco's minister of state (prime minister) Michel Roger and would keep him informed of how it went.

But according to the newspaper, the authorities believe Sarkozy discovered that his "secret" telephone was being tapped and subsequently decided not to ask for the job for the judge.

It claimed Roger confirmed to police that Sarkozy had talked to him on the day of the conversation was taped but had not brought up Azibert or his desire to head up principality's judiciary.

Sarkozy's lawyer Herzog - who faces the same corruption charges as the ex-president - tells his client on the tapes that the judge had "access to unpublished information" on the Bettencourt inquiry and that he has "worked really hard" to help them.

Under French law it a crime to promise a public position as a favour, whether or not the position is given to the person.

A poll earlier this month showed that two out of three French voters are against a comeback by the charismatic right-wing leader, who is married to the singer and former supermodel Carla Bruni.

The survey for BFMTV, however, found that 72% of supporters of Sarkozy's UMP party backed a return.

In the wake of the charges, Sarkozy insisted that "there was no question of renouncing politics" and said he would not decide whether he would stand for the leadership of the party until August or September.

France's Socialist government has rejected claims that Sarkozy is being dragged through the courts to derail his thin-veiled ambitions to stand again for the presidency in 2017.

In a pointed riposte to Sarkozy's allegation, government spokesman Stephane Le Foll said: "The judiciary is independent, there is no longer any interference."



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...