Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Fires downgraded in Aus but threat not over

11 February 2014, 11:39

Melbourne - Most bushfires raging in Australia were downgraded from emergency levels on Tuesday as crews battled to get the upper hand on blazes that have destroyed 34 homes and razed a huge area of land.

The hot windy conditions that fanned scores of major infernos across the nation's southeast on Sunday eased although officials said at least 18 fires were still burning across Victoria state and warned of more challenging times ahead.

Victoria Fire Services Commissioner Craig Lapsley said three key fires remained a concern, with a total of 34 houses so far confirmed to be destroyed and 350 000 hectares burned.

"We're hoping the cyclone in Western Australia will send some rain down, but there is no significant rain forecast otherwise," he told 3AW radio.

"We're looking at this bushfire season to last all of February and into March."

Many of the fires are burning in difficult terrain - hills, valleys and rocky areas - making it difficult for fire crews to access.

"People think there needs to be 40° days, and 100 kph winds, that's not the case," Lapsley told reporters.

"We've got such a dry environment, fuels are available to burn, and we don't need all of those factors to see intense fires."

Deadliest natural disaster

While fires were downgraded to watch and act in Victoria, the Country Fire Service in South Australia issued an emergency alert Tuesday afternoon for a scrub blaze at Bangor in the state's Southern Flinders Ranges, saying homes were at risk.

"The Bangor fire is travelling in a easterly direction towards Stone Hut. There is a risk to lives and homes," it said.

At the height of the disaster officials said the conditions were the worst Australia had seen since a 2009 inferno killed 173 people.

The emergency came exactly five years after the so-called Black Saturday firestorm devastated Victoria, flattening whole towns in what was Australia's deadliest natural disaster of the modern era.

Vast wildfires are common in Australia's December-February summer months. At least 25 homes were destroyed in the southeast last month following a week-long heat wave that also saw 56 homes razed in separate blazes on the west coast.

Experts say heat waves are becoming longer and more frequent in Australia due to climate change.


Tags australia

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Prepare for DP Ruto fight in 2022...

An MP has warned that the Kalenjin Community will not stand back and watch as DP Ruto is duped ahead of the 2022 polls. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be careful who you deal with, DP ...

Watch out for your political future, DP William Ruto has been warned. Read more...