Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Filipinos allege abuse in Saudi crackdown

04 November 2013, 19:31

Manila - Thirty Filipino workers expelled from Saudi Arabia returned home on Monday and alleged they were abused amid a crackdown on illegal migrants there.

They were among an estimated 6 700 Filipino workers stranded in parts of the oil-rich Middle Eastern kingdom, where an amnesty for undocumented foreigners ended over the weekend.

"They treated us like animals," said domestic helper Amor Roxas, 46, who burst in tears while narrating her ordeal.

She claimed Saudi police rounded them up and placed them in a crowded cell for four days before they were paraded from the immigration centre to the airport.

"Our feet were chained," added Yvonne Montefeo, 32, in between sobs.

Saudi Arabian embassy officials in Manila did not want to comment on the allegation of abuse.

Migrante International, a support group for Filipino overseas workers, said 1 700 other workers remained stranded in Jeddah waiting for their documents to be processed so they can return home while about 5 000 more were scattered in Riyadh, Al Khobar and Dammam and also needing consular assistance.

It warned that the Filipinos "are in danger of being violently dispersed, arrested and detained by Saudi authorities" as the kingdom implements its crackdown.

The Filipinos are among tens of thousands of mostly Asian unskilled workers likely to be expelled, the group said.

Appeal for deadline to be extended

Vice President Jejomar Binay, who is also presidential adviser on migrant affairs, last week appealed to the Saudi government to extend its deadline, noting that "thousands are still hoping to correct their employment status".

"Due to the large number of Filipino workers seeking correction of their employment status, many of them may not be able to meet the 3 November deadline," he said in a letter to King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud last week.

The crackdown started early this year, but the Saudi government offered an amnesty to allow the workers to legalise their stay.

Binay said more than 4 000 Filipinos had been repatriated since the crackdown was announced, while 1 716 are waiting for their exit documents to be processed even as the deadline expired on Sunday.

About a tenth of the Philippines' population live and work abroad, and their dollar remittances are a vital pillar of the economy.

A vast majority of them work as unskilled labourers or maids, and are exposed to situations where they are prone to abuse.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Quit if you can't fight corruptio...

An MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta to quit office if he cannot fight corruption. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Investigate Uhuru, Ruto for corru...

Investigate President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto's offices over corruption, CORD leader Raila Odinga has said. Read more...