Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Ex-rebel Ukraine city uncovers 'mass grave'

25 July 2014, 23:00

Slavyansk - Three hours after the digging began, a piece of white sackcloth was seen in the soil.

A few minutes later, four bodies were being recovered from the hole.

The city of Slavyansk in eastern Ukraine - a former rebel stronghold back under Ukrainian military control - had found its first mass grave.

A 30-strong crowd of police officers, town officials in gas masks, forensic experts and local residents, watched the grim scene unfold.

Everyone looked on, save one man - the brother of one of the dozens who went missing. He sat on a stone wall with his back to the scene.

Municipal workers dug up the 3 metre deep hole with an excavator in an area near the town centre, then climbed in to recover the bodies.

'Terrible tragedy'

"This is a terrible tragedy," said Anton Gerashchenko, a Ukrainian interior ministry adviser presiding at a brief ceremony for townspeople before the exhumation began.

"In this mass grave are the bodies of four Protestant parishioners, innocents who were tortured and killed by the rebels," he said.

Wreaths and portraits of the four men believed to be the victims had been laid out by the grave site with heartbreaking notes: "To our dear Viktor, from your children and family", "To our dear brother Dima, Lisa and the children", "To our husband and brother".

The men were kidnapped on 8 June as they came out from Sunday worship, and were never seen again. All four were married. One had four children, while another had eight.

"There are likely around 20 bodies in this mass grave. As well as the four men who were tortured, we think there are the bodies of terrorists who died in the battle for Slavyansk against the Ukrainian army," Gerashchenko said.

'How can we go on?'

A town of 100 000 people north of Donetsk, Slayvansk was recaptured by the Ukrainian army earlier this month.

During its three months under separatist control, several dozen people went missing.

"All the people around this area saw the rebels burying people here. That's why we knew of its existence," Gerashchenko said.

"We know there are others in the town but we don't know where. This is the first one that we're excavating," he added.

A bystander, Valentina, who lives nearby, said: "I was outside my house on 11 June, when a truck came and made the hole in the morning.

"After 15:00 two vehicles came close to the hole and threw some corpses inside.

"The bodies were wrapped in a white cloth but there was no coffin," she said, as two snipers surveyed the scene from a nearby rooftop above her.

"How can we go on after this?" she added. "We are normally a peaceful people!"

On nearby Lenin Square, dozens of local residents came to watch as the Ukrainian flag was raised over the town hall and the Ukrainian anthem was sung.

The town employees sang along, hands on their hearts and tears in their eyes.


Tags ukraine

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
What do men mean when they say th...

As much as men think they are the ones confused by relationships, they have a better idea of it than most women actually do. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Rift Valley leaders to hold meeti...

Rift Valley leaders will hold a meeting to decide DP William Ruto's place in the Jubilee Party following emergence of Peter Kenneth as a main challenger to his place within the current structure. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto, not Kenneth the main man...

DP William Ruto will be the main man for the Jubilee Party in 2022, Kiraitu Murungi insists. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Jittery times for DP Ruto as Kenn...

Peter Kenneth is a genuine threat to DP William Ruto's 2022 State House bid... and the DP's allies know it. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
I will name those sabotaging DP R...

A Jubilee Party Governor says that he will name and shame those within Jubilee he says are undermining DP William Ruto's 2022 State House plans. Read more...