Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Eight missing as ship sinks off Scotland

05 January 2015, 08:20

London - An overturned cargo ship sank on Sunday off the coast of Scotland as the search continued for the missing eight-member crew.

Seven Poles and one Filipino were on board the Cypriot-registered Cemfjord, a cargo ship carrying cement, which capsized around 24km from Wick on the northeast tip of Scotland.

Two helicopters, four lifeboats and five coastguard rescue teams are involved in the search for survivors.

The prow of the Cemfjord had been sticking upright out of the water but the ship has now sunk completely.

"The vessel is no longer visible," said a spokesperson for the Maritime and Coastguard Agency.

"The coastguard rescue teams are still searching and the helicopters are still up. So the search is still going on," but there had been no sign of the crew.

The ship's last-known position was at 13:15 GMT on Friday. A passing ferry spotted the upturned hull at around 14:30 GMT on Saturday.

"The captain gave an announcement to say they had contacted the coastguard, that we were actually the first to come across this, and they had asked us to start conducting a search for any debris or any lifeboats," passenger Caitlin Ditchfield told the BBC.

"Everyone was trying to help with the search, looking out the windows to see what they could see."

Brise of Hamburg, managers of the cement carrier, confirmed in a statement that the crew of eight were missing "following a severe accident".

"No distress call was received from the vessel. Bad weather prevailed in the area at the time.

"The crew consists of seven Polish seafarers and one Filipino mariner. The company is in the process of informing the families."

Built in 1984, the 83m vessel successfully completed her classification renewal inspections in December, Brise said.

It was carrying a cargo of 2 000 tons of cement from Aalborg in Denmark to Runcorn near Liverpool on the northwest English coast.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...