Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


'Dead' candidate elected in Mexico village

12 July 2013, 14:06

Mexico City - Prosecutors are investigating how a man certified as dead got elected mayor of a village in southern Mexico.

Authorities say relatives of Lenin Carballido used a death certificate showing that he died of a diabetic coma in 2010 to convince police to drop an arrest warrant against him for allegedly participating in a 2004 gang rape.

A living Carballido later ran in, and narrowly won, Sunday's election in San Agustin Amatengo in Oaxaca State. In his campaign, he posted photos of himself all around the village of 1 400 residents, with slogans like "Now it the Time" and "United for Development."

But shortly after his victory, the death certificate surfaced with his full name of Leninguer Carballido.

Officials in Oaxaca said on Thursday that the certificate had been drawn up and signed by a public registry official, but that the information had been faked.

Fake death certificate

Carballido's party, the leftist Democratic Revolution Party, known as the PRD, said it had been fooled by the candidate.

"When he registered as a candidate, he presented all his paperwork, his birth certificate, a letter stating he had no criminal record," said Rey Morales, the state leader of the PRD. "He fooled the prosecutor’s office, he fooled the office of records, he fooled electoral officials."

"If all this is true, he cannot take office as mayor," said Morales.

Carballido didn't answer his cellphone on Thursday.

Haydee Reyes Soto, the director of the Oaxaca public records office, said the registry official who drew up the fake death certificate used a real official form, signed it and stamped it with an official seal, and even listed it under a file number used to record a real death.

"The form is real, what is false is the information," Reyes Soto said, adding "the decision has already been made to fire" the official, Abel de la Rosa Santos, who is also being questioned by prosecutors.

According to records, a woman accused of Carballido and four other men of having raped her in Oaxaca City in 2004.


Mayra Ricardez, spokesperson for the Oaxaca state prosecutors' office, said the arrest warrant against Carballido was "never served, because his family showed officers a false death certificate".

Ricardez said the statute of limitations had not run out on the crime.

"The prosecutors' office is taking all the legal steps necessary to revive the case and serve the arrest warrant that is still pending," she said.

It seems unlikely that Carballido will be able to take office in San Agustin Amatengo, an impoverished village near the city of Oaxaca where many residents left in the 2000s to seek work in the United States and elsewhere.

One San Agustin Amatengo official, who said he could not speak on the record about a criminal case, said residents hadn't been aware of the candidate's past; the rape did not take place in the village.

"All of this came out after the elections were over," the official said.

On Thursday, the Oaxaca state prosecutors' office issued a statement saying it would do everything it could to put him in jail, even if he is formally sworn in as mayor, and was considering whether he might also face charges on election-law violations.

"The state attorney general's office will investigate and bring charges, even if the suspect is recognised by electoral authorities as a municipal authority," the office said, referring to him by his full name, Leninguer Raymundo Carballido Morales. He ran for office simply as "Lenin Carballido".

- AP


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...