Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Cruise line survivors claim millions

15 February 2012, 16:43

United States – Thirty-nine survivors of the Costa Concordia cruise ship that capsized off Italy last month filed an amended lawsuit in Florida state court on Tuesday seeking more than half a billion dollars in damages.

The suit filed against Miami-based Carnival Cruise Lines Incorporated, and its subsidiary Costa Cruise Line - which owns the Costa Concordia - seeks $78m in damages and $450m in punitive damages.


The defendants "acted in a severely reckless and willful, wanton manner, with complete disregard for the safety, lives and well being of the plaintiffs", said Marc Bern, a lawyer representing the passengers.

The behavior demonstrated "an extreme departure from reasonable care coupled with a conscious awareness of the risk of harm", said Bern, speaking outside the downtown Miami courthouse where the case was filed.

Legal experts say that it could be difficult to win the case in a US court because the Costa Cruise Line tickets stated that any legal action against the company should be taken in Italy.

Lewis Shelton, another passenger lawyer, was undeterred.

"We believe we will succeed," Shelton told reporters. "Florida is proper because Carnival and Costa are essentially the same entity with offices here."

The 39 plaintiffs include passengers from Italy, the United States, Germany, Canada, South Korea and China.

The goal

Our goal "is to get the cruise lines to stop ... spending money on ads that market dream vacations that can't be fulfilled because they invest nothing in security or personnel training", said Oscar Aleman, a Venezuelan passenger who lost his personal documents in the shipwreck.

The Costa Concordia had 4 229 people aboard including about 1 000 personnel when it ran aground on January 13 near Giglio, a picturesque island off Tuscany.

Thirty-two people are believed to have died in the tragedy, although the bodies of 15 have not been recovered.

Captain Francesco Schettino, who faces charges of manslaughter and abandoning ship before all passengers were evacuated, is under house arrest.

Other lawsuits

Since the disaster, several consumer associations have announced their intention to bring a class action against Costa Cruise Lines despite the firm's offer to pay passengers on board the doomed liner more than $14 000 each.

Costa extended until March 31 a deadline for passengers to accept the cash payout.

"These are charity handouts that makes mockery" of our ordeal, said Juan Carrasquel, another Venezuelan passenger.

Carnival officials have not responded to calls from AFP.

The original suit was filed by six passengers late last month demanding $460m in compensation from Carnival Cruise Lines.


Join in the conversation on News24 Kenya’s Facebook page.

Get the latest news by following us on Twitter


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...