Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Costa Concordia victim identified by DNA

25 October 2013, 12:52

Rome - DNA tests have identified the remains as one of the final two missing victims of last year's deadly shipwreck of the Costa Concordia off an Italian island, the ANSA news agency reported on Thursday.

The remains of Maria Grazia Trecarichi were found by scuba divers inside the cruise liner on 8 October, three weeks after the 300m, 114 000-ton cruise liner was righted from the partly capsized state that it had lain in for 20 months. It was moved as part of expensive and risky salvage operations.

Trecarichi had booked a holiday on the Costa Concordia to celebrate her 50th birthday along with her friend Luisa Antonia Virzi, who also died, and her teenage daughter Stefania and her boyfriend, who both survived.

Husband Elio Vincenzi said her funeral would likely be held at the end of next week in Trecarichi's hometown of Leonforte, Sicily. He lamented the fact that he learned about the DNA results from the media rather than from authorities.

"They assured me I would be the first to know if that body was my wife's, but that is not the way it went," he said.

The Costa Concordia crashed against a reef and ran aground on the night of 13 January 2012, after its captain steered it close to the island of Giglio. Thirty-two of the 4 229 people on board died.

Indian waiter Russel Rebello is the only victim whose remains have not yet been found. On Wednesday, Italian authorities said the search on board the Concordia might resume once it is taken to port for dismantling, which should happen next year.


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...