Contact made with Sydney hostage-taker - police
15 December 2014, 09:36
07:08 - Australian police said on Monday negotiators had been in contact with the gunman holding hostages in a Sydney cafe siege but refused to speculate on his possible motivation, Reuters reports.
Television footage earlier showed three of the hostages running from the building. New South Wales Deputy Police Commissioner Catherine Burn declined to say how many were still being held in the cafe but said it "is not as high as 30".
Burn told reporters there was no indication that any of the remaining hostages had been harmed.
Hostages were shown running out of a Sydney cafe at the centre of a siege on Monday, according to Channel 7 live news footage.
The footage showed a small number of people leaving the Lindt cafe, including one wearing a Lindt apron, as armed police moved closer to the door.
An armed assailant was holding an unknown number of hostages inside the cafe, police said, with local television showing some being forced to hold up a black flag with white Arabic writing in the window.