Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.

 

China officials admit ship radar lock

18 March 2013, 14:40

Tokyo - Senior Chinese military officials have admitted for the first time that a frigate locked its radar on a Japanese destroyer during the two nations' spat over disputed islands, Kyodo News agency reported on Monday.

In one of the more serious incidents in an escalating row over ownership of the islands in the East China Sea, Tokyo said the Chinese vessel effectively had a Japanese ship in its sights earlier this year.

Beijing has consistently denied the allegation and accused Tokyo of hyping the "China threat" in a bid to manipulate world public opinion against its giant neighbour.

But Kyodo News cited unnamed "senior Chinese military officials" saying the weapons targeting had taken place.

The officials, including "flag officers" - those at the rank of admiral - told Kyodo it was an "emergency decision", not a planned action, and was taken by the commander of the frigate, the report said.

The Tokyo-datelined report said the comments were made "recently", but gave no specifics.

No instruction from fleet commander


The radar incident marked the first time the two nations' navies have locked horns in the increasingly bitter spat over the Tokyo-controlled Senkakus, which China claims as the Diaoyus.

The Chinese officials told Kyodo that on 30 January the frigate and the Japanese destroyer were 3km apart in international waters around 110 to 130km north of the outcrops, the report said.

The commander of the frigate directed his vessel's weapons-targeting radar, based on the Chinese military's rules of engagement, without seeking instructions from the fleet command or navy headquarters, Kyodo cited the Chinese officers as saying.

It was not known if the commander had been reprimanded, Kyodo said.

Tokyo has also charged a Chinese frigate locked its radar on a Japanese helicopter in the middle of January.

China's defence ministry has said in a statement faxed to AFP, that on both occasions the Chinese ship-board radar maintained normal operations and "fire-control radar was not used".

Call for calm


It said "the Japanese side's remarks were against the facts" and Tokyo had "recklessly created tension and misled international public opinion" by making the claim.

"The officials urged Japan to calm the situation by not becoming fixated with the incidents and called on Japan to refrain from disclosing its data proving the radar lock," Kyodo said.

There was no immediate response from the Chinese defence ministry when asked for a comment on Monday's report.

- AFP

Tags china japan
NEXT ON NEWS24 KENYAX
Share Print

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Chepkwony Robert
Residents loot sugar as truck ove...

Residents of Salgaa trading centre and its environs went to a looting spree after a sugar truck overturned near Salgaa Bridge along the Eldoret-Nakuru highway before catching fire. Read more...

Submitted by
MyNewsKenyaEd
Events to attend this Easter

Here are some of the top events to attend this Easter weekend: Read more...

Submitted by
Millicent Kawii
Court bars sacking of Trade Union...

An Industrial Court has temporarily halted the government from gazetting the sacking of the Registrar of Trade Unions. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Maalim does not fear arrest over ...

Former deputy speaker of the National Assembly Farah Maalim says he meant every bit of the comments he made on the government's alleged involvement in terror.  Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Fresh registration waste of funds...

The government has been lambasted for planning to register Kenyans afresh, terming the process a waste of funds. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
KWS officers impound ivory, arres...

Six people have been arrested with a truck filled with pieces of ivory by Kenya Wildlife Service officials in Nairobi. Read more...