Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Boston bombing suspect blames brother

23 April 2013, 10:45

Boston - Boston bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has told investigators his brother was the leader in last week's deadly attacks, and that no international terrorist groups were behind them, CNN reported.

The network cited an unnamed US government source as saying that "preliminary interviews with Tsarnaev indicate the two brothers fit the classification of self-radicalised jihadists".

"Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, wounded and held in a Boston hospital, has said his brother [Tamerlan, aged 26] - who was killed early on Friday - wanted to defend Islam from attack," CNN quoted the source as saying.

But the surviving suspect indicated that international groups were not part of the brothers' acts, the report said.

The younger Tsarnaev, aged 19, could face the death penalty after being charged on Monday for his alleged role in the attacks that left three people dead and 200 wounded.

Dzhokar Tsarnaev was arraigned in his hospital bed on charges of using and conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction, and malicious destruction of property by means of deadly explosives, the US Department of Justice said.

The charges were made on Monday, a week on from the twin marathon bombings, as Americans marked the time the bombs went off with a moment of silence observed across the nation, from the White House to the New York Stock Exchange.

If Tsarnaev, a naturalised US citizen of Chechen descent, is convicted of the federal charges, he faces time behind bars - or even the death penalty.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Machakos no longer a CORD zone, M...

Machakos is now a Jubilee Party zone and no longer CORD, Governor Alfred Mutua says. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
REVEALED: Why Kalonzo attacked Uh...

There was no holding back for CORD co principal Kalonzo Musyoka as he spoke his mind during Mashujaa Day celebrations in Machakos. But why? Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
I will step down if I lose in 201...

President Uhuru Kenyatta says that he is ready to step down from office if he loses the 2017 General Elections. Read more...