Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Boston: Mound of evidence

17 April 2013, 08:21

Boston - Investigators were combing through a large volume of evidence on Tuesday as they sought information about twin explosions near the finish line of the Boston Marathon that killed three people and wounded more than 170 others.

US President Barack Obama called the bombings "an act of terror", but stressed that the motive and perpetrator remained unknown.

"This was heinous and cowardly act, and given what we now know about what took place, the FBI is investigating it as an act of terrorism.

"Any time bombs are used to target innocent civilians, it is an act of terror," he said.

"What we don't yet know, however, is who carried out this attack or why, whether it was planned and executed by a terrorist organisation, foreign or domestic, or was the act of a malevolent individual," Obama said in brief remarks at the White House.

FBI agent Rick DesLauriers, who is heading the investigation, also would not comment on possible suspects or whether domestic or foreign terrorism was suspected.

He said the investigation would extend beyond Boston to follow all leads, including abroad.

"We will go to the ends of the Earth to identify the subject or subjects who are responsible for this despicable crime and we will do everything we can to bring them to justice," he said.

Seventeen of the 176 victims were in critical condition, in addition to the three fatalities from what officials stressed were only two explosive devices in Monday's attack.

The victims included 8-year-old Martin Richard, whose father had just completed the marathon and whose mother and sister were seriously injured.

"We thank our family and friends, those we know and those we have never met, for their thoughts and prayers," the father, Bill Richard, said in a statement.

"I ask that you continue to pray for my family as we remember Martin. We also ask for your patience and for privacy as we work to simultaneously grieve and recover."

The Boston Globe identified another of those killed as 29-year-old Krystle Campbell.

Boston will overcome

People laid flowers at a police barrier set up around the scene of the explosions. Many marathon participants commemorated the victims and their families by going to the location wearing the blue-and-yellow shirts issued to runners.

Other marathon runners went to pick up their personal items, which they left prior to the race, and their medals.

The area near the finish line in the middle of the inner city remained cordoned off.

Beyond the police barricade lay empty water bottles, plastic containers and trash blowing in the wind. Stacks of unopened water bottles and granola bars meant for runners after they crossed the line stood on palettes at the edge of the street.

"This is a tragedy, but Boston is a strong city. We're a city that will get through this," Mayor Thomas Menino said. "Boston will overcome."

Police had warned just after the blasts that other devices could have been planted, but Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick said "all other parcels" in the area had now been examined and no other bombs had been found.

Area hospitals meanwhile continued to treat victims suffering wounds from "a variety of sharp objects", including metal pellets and nails.

Doctor George Velmahos, head of Massachusetts General Hospital's trauma and emergency surgery division, said the clinic had conducted four amputations on limbs that were "beyond salvation".

Other hospitals also reported amputating limbs.

Velmahos said he believed most of the metal objects found in his patients had come from the bomb itself, but noted that there were also injuries from other flying debris.

Investigators put out a call to marathon spectators for video and photographs taken near the scene and were reviewing security cameras from nearby businesses.

City rescue officials offered a reward of $50 000 for tips that lead to arrests of suspects, and set up a support fund for the victims.

Twelve city blocks remained cordoned off, which police commissioner Ed Davis called "the most complex crime scene we've dealt with in the history of our department".

Robust security measures

Security was increased in several major US cities, including New York and Washington, and organisers of upcoming marathons, including Sunday's race in London, were reviewing their security arrangements.

The two explosions took place within seconds of each other at 18:50 GMT on Monday near the finishing line, about two hours after the elite runners had ended their race and at a time when people running in the back of the pack normally cross.

As the powerful explosive devices went off, runners collapsed to the ground, glass and windows were shattered, spectators fanned out in panic, many of them bleeding and screaming, leaving pavements stained with blood.

About 26 000 runners participated in this year's Boston Marathon. First run in 1897, it is the world's oldest city marathon.

The London Marathon taking place on Sunday is the world's largest, drawing more than half a million spectators from all over the world, and London Mayor Boris Johnson stressed "robust security measures" are in place.

Russian President Vladimir Putin called the attacks "a barbarian crime" and offered assistance to US investigators.

Russian law enforcement agencies announced extra security measures for sports events, as the country is hosting the World Athletics Championships in August, the 2014 Winter Olympics and the 2018 football World Cup.

No international terrorist groups had claimed responsibility and the Pakistani Taliban said it was not involved in the attack.

"We do not know who carried out the attack and what the purpose was," spokesperson Ehsanullah Ehsan told dpa by phone.

The group claimed responsibility for an attempted car bombing in New York's Times Square in 2010, and has threatened to carry out attacks inside the United States.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Deal with corruption or lose in 2...

A Jubilee Party MP says that the unending corruption claims against the government are killing President Uhuru Kenyatta's re-election efforts for 2017. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
MP accuses Raila of making up fal...

An MP has accused CORD leader Raila Odinga of bringing up non existent corruption scandals to hurt the Jubilee government. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave office if you can't handle ...

Leave office if you cannot handle corruption, an MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Give me the chance to unseat Uhur...

Give me the chance to send President Uhuru Kenyatta home, Kalonzo Musyoka tells Kenyans. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Explain your foreign trips since ...

Explain your foreign trips, Musalia Mudavadi tells President Uhuru Kenyatta. Read more...