Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Beheading: Cameron vows to 'hunt down' ISIS

14 September 2014, 17:19

London - Prime Minister David Cameron said Britain was ready to "take whatever steps are necessary" to destroy Islamic State militants after they murdered a British aid worker, but made no commitment to joining the United States in air strikes.

After chairing a meeting of the government's emergency Cobra committee, Cameron said the extremists behind the beheading of David Haines were the "embodiment of evil".

"We will hunt down those responsible and bring them to justice, no matter how long it takes," the grim-faced premier said in a televised statement from Downing Street.

Destroy what it stands for

He continued: "Step by step we must drive back, dismantle and ultimately destroy ISIL (ISIS) and what it stands for. We will do so in a calm, deliberate way but with an iron determination.

"We will not do so on our own, but by working closely with our allies, not just the United States and in Europe, but with our allies in the region."

Cameron repeated his support for US air strikes against ISIS in Iraq, and for President Barack Obama's strategy to build a broad coalition to fight the jihadists.

But despite growing calls at home for action against ISIS, Cameron made no commitment to British strikes.

London began sending arms this week to Kurdish fighters battling ISIS militants in northern Iraq, but it has faced accusations of confusion over its strategy.

During a visit to Berlin this week, Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond said Britain would not take part in strikes against ISIS in Syria, after parliament last year voted against taking military action in that country.

But just hours later, a spokesperson for Cameron's Downing Street office insisted the prime minister was not ruling anything out.

Third beheading

The murder of Haines was revealed in a video released late on Saturday, the third beheading of a Western hostage in less than a month.

In the footage, a hooded militant blames Cameron for joining forces with the United States and says the alliance will drag the British people into "another bloody and unwinnable war".

Cameron described 44-year-old Haines as a "British hero", saying that "his selflessness, his decency, his burning desire to help others has today cost him his life".

Also read: ISIS leaves signed note on beheaded corpse

Those who killed him "are not Muslims, they are monsters".

Haines had been taken hostage in Syria in March 2013 while working for a French NGO.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...