Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


'Beheaded' London woman identified

05 September 2014, 11:06

London - An elderly woman was found beheaded at a house in a north London suburb on Thursday, British media reported, in an incident that police said did not appear to be terrorist related.

Officers said they were called to the house in Edmonton following reports of a man armed with a knife, and found the woman's body in the garden. She was named as 82-year-old Palmira Silva,who detectives believe is of Italian descent.

"Whilst it is too early to speculate on what the motive behind this attack was I am confident, based on the information currently available to me, that it is not terrorist related," said Detective Chief Inspector John Sandlin who is leading the investigation.

He declined to confirm reports that the woman had been beheaded, or say what weapon was used in the attack.

Police said a man, 25, had been arrested on suspicion of murder by armed officers at the scene after they used a stun gun. One officer suffered a suspected broken wrist during the arrest.

Earlier, there was an attempt to attack two other people at a house on the same street but they escaped unharmed.

The reported nature of the killing had prompted speculation that the murder might be a terrorism incident after last year's gruesome murder of a British soldier in London, and the recent release of videos by Islamic State jihadists showing two US journalists being beheaded apparently by a British national.

"This is was a highly visible attack in broad daylight on a residential street," said Sandlin in a statement. "I can understand why this may cause people concern, however we are confident that we are not looking for anyone else at this stage."

- Reuters

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...