Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Australia military child sex abuse exposed

15 June 2012, 11:43

Sydney - Documents released on Friday revealed "horrific" child sex assaults and brutal initiation ceremonies in the Australian military, prompting Prime Minister Julia Gillard to signal a possible public inquiry.

The suggestion of a royal commission followed Defence Minister Stephen Smith denying covering up the extent of abuse, stretching from the 1950s to the present.

Three months ago he made public extracts of a government-initiated review into the allegations, but the Australian Broadcasting Corporation has obtained the full executive summary under freedom of information laws.

It goes into far more detail, highlighting nearly 850 cases, and showing that what Smith released was censored.

The full summary paints a culture of covering up, failing to punish perpetrators and hostility towards victims who complained.

In particular, the report details allegations of sexual and other serious physical assaults against boys as young as 13-years-old dating back to the 1950s. The minimum joining age is now 17-years-old.

'Disturbing reading'

Smith, who commissioned the report last year following the so-called Skype scandal, when footage of a young male recruit having sex with a female classmate was streamed to a group of cadets in another room, denied a cover-up.

"I released enough material to make the point that these were very serious allegations and very concerning matters," he said, adding that the military now had "zero tolerance on all of those matters".

"The materials released today simply serve to further underline the seriousness of the matters I've been dealing with for some considerable time."

Gillard called the abuse allegations "deeply distressing" and said the report was "truly disturbing reading".

"We now have to work out what's the best way of dealing with all of this given how far back in time many of these claims go," she told reporters.

"A royal commission for this matter or at least for some of the more serious allegations is one option."

The report suggested paedophiles in the past joined the military to access boys and young people in the same way they sought out positions in orphanages, schools and churches.

Reporting abuse discouraged

"There is no reason to think that such people would not have targeted relevant parts of the Australian Defence Force," the summary said.

"It is certain that many boys were subjected to serious sexual and physical assault and other serious abuse... from the 1950s through to the 1970s and possibly into the 1980s," it said.

The report confirmed "there have been substantial levels of abuse" in the military and "very little evidence that perpetrators had been called to account".

"The culture within parts of defence at different times has strongly discouraged victims or witnesses from reporting abuse."

It added that the accused may now hold middle and senior management positions.

The review also said "bastardisation" - initiation ceremonies - was "rife" until very recently, frequently "brutal", and was likely to be a criminal offence in civilian society.


Tags kenya

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Prepare for DP Ruto fight in 2022...

An MP has warned that the Kalenjin Community will not stand back and watch as DP Ruto is duped ahead of the 2022 polls. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be careful who you deal with, DP ...

Watch out for your political future, DP William Ruto has been warned. Read more...