Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Aus PM: MH370 families have right to know

21 March 2014, 12:37

Sydney - Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott on Friday defended his decision to reveal authorities had spotted possible wreckage from a missing Malaysia Airlines plane, saying he owed it to the families affected.

Abbott told parliament in Canberra on Thursday that satellite images had shown two objects in the southern Indian Ocean which could have come from flight MH370, raising hopes of a breakthrough in the Malaysian plane's mysterious disappearance.

Asked whether he had "jumped the gun" on the release of the information, given that the grainy images taken on Sunday were indistinct, he said the families of those onboard were owed the information.

"We owe it to the families and the friends and the loved ones of the almost 240 people on Flight MH370 to do everything we can to try to resolve what is as yet an extraordinary riddle," he told reporters.

"We owe it to them to do everything we can to resolve this and because of the understandable state of anxiety and apprehension that they're in, we also owe it to them to give them information as soon as it's to hand and I think I was doing that yesterday in the parliament."


Details about MH370 have been clouded by mystery and misinformation since it went missing on 8 March, with 239 people on board as it headed from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

Speculation about the fate of the flight as ranged from hijacking to pilot suicide, with Malaysian authorities unable to say definitively whether it was headed north or south when it vanished.

Nearly two-thirds of the passengers on board were Chinese nationals and their angry relatives have protested Malaysia's handling of the crisis, accusing them of withholding information and not doing enough to find the plane.

Malaysia on Tuesday asked Australia to take charge of the southern vector of the search.

Abbott said on Thursday the satellite images represented new and "credible" information while stressing that any link with flight MH370 had still to be confirmed.

"Since then, we've been throwing everything we've got at that area to try to learn more about what this debris might be," he told journalists in the Papua New Guinea capital Port Moresby.

"Now, it could just be a container that's fallen off a ship. We just don't know," he said, adding that additional information from Australian authorities, who are leading the southern end of the search, would be made available as soon as possible.

"Australia will do its duty. It's about the most inaccessible spot you could imagine on the face of the Earth, but if there is anything down there, we will find it."



Clinton soars to double-digit lead

24 October 2016, 07:16

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
S Mbinya
How to get rid of cellulite at ho...

Proper diets and a healthy lifestyle are among the most effective natural remedies for cellulite. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Peter Kenneth is not a good leade...

A local activist has slammed the former Presidential candidate Peter Kenneth for only appearing during elections but going underground when the country has problems.  Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Javelin champion Julius Yego invo...

He is undergoing treatment at the Medihill hospital in Eldoret. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...