Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Alleged anti-Muslim filmmaker arrested

28 September 2012, 15:04

Los Angeles - The alleged filmmaker behind the video that sparked protests across Muslim countries was arrested and detained without bond on Thursday, as a US judge said she feared he would try to flee.

Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, the alleged director/producer of Innocence of Muslims, appeared in court in Los Angeles after being arrested for breaching the terms of his probation for a 2010 banking fraud conviction.

Prosecutor Robert Dugdale said the 55-year-old had allegedly made eight breaches, including making false statements to probation officers and using at least three different names.

Judge Suzanne Segal ruled that Nakoula, who has been hiding since protests erupted over his film, be detained without bond, saying he was a flight risk and a danger to the community.

"The court has a lack of trust in this defendant," she said.

Concerns have been raised for Nakoula's safety due to the widespread anger his alleged video has provoked among Muslims, and his hastily-arranged court appearance was held under tight security in downtown LA.

Identity theft

The hearing was closed to the public, but journalists and anyone else interested was allowed to follow proceedings via videoconference from a separate building.

Nakoula - allegedly the real identity behind the pseudonym Sam Bacile, listed as the director of Innocence of Muslims - was briefly taken into custody earlier this month for questioning by his probation officer.

He was traced to a home address in Cerritos, south of Los Angeles, after international protests erupted against the 14-minute trailer video posted online.

The film depicting the Prophet Muhammad as a thuggish deviant offended many Muslims, and sparked a wave of anti-American protests that have cost several lives and saw mobs set US missions, schools and businesses ablaze.

In February 2009, a federal indictment accused Nakoula and others of fraudulently obtaining the identities and Social Security numbers of customers at several Wells Fargo branches in California and withdrawing $860 from them.

Nakoula's court appearance came a day after an actress involved in the video, Cindy Lee Garcia, filed a second lawsuit seeking to force YouTube and Google to pull the video trailer.

Emotional distress

Garcia filed legal action in Los Angeles Superior Court last week, but a judge rejected it - and on Wednesday, she filed a new suit alleging breach of copyright in federal court in Santa Clarita, California.

The actress says she had believed to have signed up for a film called Desert Warrior set 2 000 years ago, and only realised her lines had been over-dubbed when the row with Muslim protests erupted this month.

In her initial lawsuit, Garcia alleged she has suffered severe emotional distress, financial setbacks and the "destruction of her career and reputation".

But Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Luis Lavin denied her request for a restraining order to prevent YouTube, a subsidiary of Google, from continuing to show the film clips.

The English version of the trailer, which has been withdrawn from YouTube in a number of countries, includes blatantly overdubbed parts of dialogue, and Muhammad's name seems to have been added in post-production.

Garcia said she only saw four pages of script for the two days she spent on set, and had no idea about the movie's religious content. "No one spoke of the Muslim faith, no one spoke of Muhammad. Nor would I do that," she said.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
China to help Kenya fight high le...

China observed that if left unchecked, corruption could see the country degenerate into lawlessness. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Signs that he is seeing someone e...

When a man wants to be with you, he will always create time to be with you. Read more...

Submitted by
George Vodongo
Spat between DP Ruto and Boniface...

A close associate of the DP, Hon Njogu Barua made an alarming comment on live TV Tuesday morning. Read more...

Submitted by
Ben Wangui
Matatu driver who drugged, robbed...

The driver of a Nissan matatu who over the weekend drugged and robbed a female passenger in Nairobi has been charged. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Heavy police contingent deployed ...

More police officers were on Monday deployed at Likoni in Mombasa County in a security operation to nab members of the ‘Wakali Kwanza’ and ‘Mtalia’ criminal gangs who have been terrorizing locals in the area. Read more...