Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


7 charged in N Ireland for 'terrorist offences'

17 November 2014, 12:23

London - Seven men have been charged with "terrorist offences" in Northern Ireland and were due in court on Monday, the police said following an investigation into militants opposed to peace.

"The arrest and charging of these individuals with what are very serious terrorist offences clearly demonstrates our commitment to investigate all those involved in terrorism," said Kevin Geddes, a senior officer from Northern Ireland's Serious Crime Branch.

All seven have been charged with membership of a banned organisation, while six of them face charges of conspiracy to possess explosives, firearms and ammunition and preparation for attacks.

The men are aged between 30 and 75, the police said.

Also read: British 'terror' suspect had 'explosive' chemicals

More than 3 500 people were killed in the three decades of sectarian bombings and shootings in Northern Ireland known as "The Troubles" before an historic peace agreement in 1998.

The Good Friday peace accords largely ended the violence and paved the way for a devolved power-sharing government, although dissident republican groups opposed to peace are still active.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...