Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


18 children buried in China landslide

04 October 2012, 15:54

Beijing - Eighteen primary school students were buried on Thursday when a landslide hit their school in southwest China as they studied during a holiday to make up classes lost due to deadly earthquakes last month.

State television said one person died in the landslide that struck a classroom building and two farmhouses in mountainous Yunnan province, but gave no other details.

The official Xinhua news agency said that besides the 18 children, a local villager had also been buried.

The students at the Youfang Primary School would not normally have been in school this week as China is on a week-long national holiday.

But they were making up for lost time caused by disruptions stemming from two 7 September earthquakes that struck Yiliang county where Zhenhe is located, killing 81 people and leaving hundreds injured.

Web users immediately raised questions about the decision to have the children back in the schools.


The safety of school pupils is a sensitive issue after thousands of students died when an 8.0-magnitude tremor in 2008 rocked Sichuan province in southwestern China and parts of neighbouring Shaanxi and Gansu.

"Are the officials all on vacation? Why was there no alert? Why were there students in school during the holidays?" a user of leading portal Sina.com's popular micro-blogging service asked after the landslide.

Many schools collapsed in the 2008 quake, which killed more than 80 000 people in total.

This led to accusations that corner-cutting in construction projects and possibly corruption led to shoddy buildings, especially as many buildings nearby such schools held firm.

Images broadcast on state television showed rescue personnel picking through landslide debris.

It said the landslide occurred after sustained rains in the area.

Area one of worst-hit

Many buildings in Yiliang County are located precariously at the foot of steep mountainsides.

The landslide struck at 08:00 as students were arriving for classes, reports said.

"More than 30 students were supposed to attend classes today and there were 18 pupils at school before the class started this morning," a local official who gave only his surname, Yang, said by phone.

"The school is just one single-storey teaching building."

Yiliang county was one of the areas worst-hit by the two 5.6-magnitude earthquakes last month.

"Youfang is one of the schools that has resumed classes. I have no more details," an official at the Yiliang Education Bureau who gave only his surname Zhang said.

201 000 displaced

An earlier statement by the bureau had encouraged all classes to resume by 5 October.

A family of three managed to escape before the landslide hit, Xinhua said, but gave no other details on them.

Local government officials moved local residents to safer ground after the disaster and dispatched rescue teams to the area, it added.

Last month's quakes left 820 people injured and 201 000 displaced.

In the wake of that disaster, domestic media said authorities should emphasise safety and sustainability in future developments.

Despite decades of rapidly improving living standards, China remains prone to natural disasters such as floods, quakes, and landslides, with heavy loss of life.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
DP Ruto accuses Raila of selling ...

DP Wiliam Ruto has castigated Raila Odinga for seeking western support to fund his 2017 election bid. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Peter Kenneth announces Uhuru 201...

Peter Kenneth has announced that he will support President Uhuru Kenyatta in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...