15 Thai tourist blasts suspects in military detention
18 August 2016, 19:24
Bangkok – Thailand's junta said on Thursday 15 suspects in last
week's bomb and arson attacks against a string of tourist resort towns are
being detained at a military barracks in Bangkok.
have detained 17 suspects at the special 11th Army Circle barracks in Bangkok
but we had released two of them," Colonel Burin Tongprapai, the junta's
top legal advisor, told reporters.
Burin said authorities were looking to re-detain the two suspects who were
released and that the entire group were likely to be charged on Friday.
has claimed responsibility for the bombing spree, which hit tourist towns in
the country's south last Thursday and Friday, killing four and wounding dozens,
including European visitors.
attacks were highly unusual in a country where foreign visitors are rarely
caught up in the country's frequent bouts of political violence.
Burin's comments highlight the primary role the military have played in the
investigation and is the first official admission that scores of suspects have
been held since the bombings on army barracks.
human rights groups had previously said more than a dozen suspects were being
held without access to lawyers and called for greater transparency in the
have remained tight-lipped on the motive of the attackers or the identities of
junta, which seized power in 2014, and the police quickly ruled out
international terrorism, saying the perpetrators were "local