10 best quotes of 2015
15 December 2015, 12:27
New Haven — Pope Francis' comments that human activity is mostly to blame for global warming top a list of the most notable quotes of 2015, as compiled by a Yale Law School librarian who also included several sound bites from the U.S. presidential campaign.
Fred Shapiro, an associate librarian at the law school, said the 10th annual "Yale Book of Quotations" list of most notable quotes, released Tuesday, doesn't necessarily contain the most "eloquent or admiral quotations," but rather ones that were chosen because they were famous, important or particularly revealing of the spirit of the times.
Making the list is Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders saying how "sick and tired" the American people are of hearing about the emails of Hillary Clinton, his rival in the Democratic presidential race.
Donald Trump made the list twice for disparaging comments about fellow Republican presidential candidate Carly Fiorina and Arizona Sen. John McCain. Trump's call for a ban on Muslims entering the U.S. did not make the list, Shaprio said, because it was presented in a statement that referred to Trump in the third person and did not lend itself to being quoted.
The yearly list is an update to the "Yale Book of Quotations," which was first published in 2006.
1. "Scientific studies indicate that most global warming in recent decades is due to the great concentration of greenhouse gases released mainly as a result of human activity." — Pope Francis, "Laudato Sí" encyclical letter, June 18.
2. "The American people are sick and tired of hearing about your damn emails." — Bernie Sanders to Hillary Clinton, Democratic presidential debate, Las Vegas, Oct. 13.
3."Everybody thought Hillary Clinton was unbeatable, right? But we put together a Benghazi special committee, a select committee. What are her numbers today?" — Congressman Kevin McCarthy, Fox News Network "Hannity" show, Sept. 29.
4."Look at that face! Would anyone vote for that?" — Donald Trump on fellow Republican presidential candidate Carly Fiorina, quoted in Rolling Stone magazine, Sept. 24.
5. "He's not a war hero. ... He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured." — Donald Trump on John McCain, interview at Family Leadership Summit, Ames, Iowa, July 18.
6. "A lot of people who go into prison go into prison straight, and when they come out, they're gay. So, did something happen while they were in there?" — Ben Carson, Republican presidential candidate, on whether homosexuality is a choice, CNN "New Day" show, Mar. 4.
7. "These men and women ... ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right." — Justice Anthony Kennedy, U.S. Supreme Court opinion on gay marriage in Obergefell v. Hodges, June 26.
8. "What, like with a cloth or something?" — Hillary Clinton, response to a reporter's questions about whether she wiped her server, North Las Vegas, Nevada, Aug. 18.
9. "Three things happen when they (female scientists) are in the lab. You fall in love with them, they fall in love with you and when you criticize them, they cry." — Nobel medicine laureate Tim Hunt, remarks at World Conference of Science Journalists, Seoul, South Korea, quoted in The Guardian, June 10.
10. "He's, of course, one of the real leaders on this team and he earns it and he earns it with respect from all of his teammates and that's the kind of thing that inspires a football team." — Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on controversial player Greg Hardy, remarks to reporters, East Rutherford, New Jersey, Oct. 25.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!