Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


FIFA bans for 2 South American officials for life

07 May 2016, 02:00

Zurich - A FIFA tribunal on Friday issued lifetime bans against two South American football officials who had already pleaded guilty to corruption offences in US court.

The ethics committee adjudicatory chamber barred Sergio Jadue of Chile and Luis Bedoya of Colombia, both former senior FIFA officials as well as vice presidents of the South American confederation CONMEBOL, "for life from all football-related activities", said a FIFA statement.

FIFA's in-house court launched a probe into both men on December 4, the day after the pair admitted in a New York court that they had committed racketeering and wire fraud.

They are among dozens of officials and sport marketing executives within world football detained as part of an unprecedented scandal that has spurred a massive reform drive within FIFA.

Both Jadue and Bedoya "asked for and received bribes from sports marketing companies in relation to the awarding of marketing rights" for major South American football tournaments, the FIFA statement said.

As part of his plea deal, Jadue agreed to collaborate with US investigators and was escorted out of Chile late last year under police escort.

The guilty plea sealed Jadue's downfall after a career that saw him rise from the front office of a humble local club to the vice presidency of CONMEBOL.

Bedoya, once known as the "tsar" of Colombian football, is a former clothing salesman who reportedly bought a dozen luxury properties during the nine years he led the Colombian Football Federation.

His plea deal with US prosecutors included a pledge to forfeit assets held in a Swiss bank account.


Tags fifa soccer

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...