Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Warner denies involvement in FIFA scandal

12 November 2015, 09:37

Berlin - Disgraced football official Jack Warner on Wednesday denied any wrongdoing in the awarding of the 2006 World Cup to Germany over a document appearing to link him to the ongoing scandal.

"I have never, ever had any agreement of any kind with anyone on Germany's hosting of the 2006 World Cup," wrote Warner in an email to broadcaster Sport 1.

"I have said a thousand times that I have no intention of talking or writing to anyone about my 30 years sojourn in FIFA.

"Nor do I have no intention (sic) of joining the international media circus whose only objective seems to be demean and denigrate."

On Tuesday, the German Football Association (DFB) confirmed reports of a draft agreement, signed in part by Franz Beckenbauer, who was chairman of the 2006 World Cup's organising committee, which German daily Bild claims was aimed at buying "votes for the German bid".

The draft contract, which reportedly offered a lucrative friendly against Germany, but no cash, is with Warner, the ex-president of the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) who is banned for life by FIFA.

But it remains unclear whether the document was ever used.

German football has lurched into a crisis over Spiegel magazine's report last month alleging that the votes of four members of FIFA's executive committee were bought in 2000, when Germany narrowly won the vote to host the 2006 finals.

At the centre of the scandal is a $7.2-million payment, which is alleged to have been used to purchase the support of FIFA's executive committee.

The scandal took a dramatic twist last week when police carried out raids at the Frankfurt headquarters of the German Football Association (DFB) and led to Wolfgang Niersbach resigning as DFB president on Monday.

Beckenbauer, who is being investigated by FIFA's ethics committee, is staying tight-lipped on the matter, despite growing calls to explain his part in the scandal, and will only speak as part of an official investigation.

"Franz Beckenbauer is still available to talk to the appropriate bodies and will not therefore be commenting publicly," his management group said Wednesday.



Give Pogba time, Mourinho reiterates

27 October 2016, 10:03

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM beats Jubilee in 3 by-electio...

ODM dominates Jubilee Party in by elections.

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Kenyan ivory seized in Vietnam

Vietnamese authorities have seized 1 tonne of ivory smuggled from Kenya, the fifth such seizure in the past month. Read more...

Submitted by
Cyril Mike Odhiz
Kenyans furious on young lady aft...

A young Kenyan woman is the talk of town after she posted a photo with her elderly lover after a round of steamy sex, or so the photo suggested.  Read more...

Submitted by
Kiplangat langat
Uhuru could be a one term Presid...

Bomet governor Isaac Ruto has said that President Uhuru Kenyatta could be a one term President if he fails to increase allocations to the counties. Read more...

Submitted by
Mody Sammy
35 year old farmer a new milliona...

A 35 year old farmer from Mpeketoni Lamu county has become the latest millionaire in town as she became winner in the ongoing ‘Shinda Mamili na Story Ibambe’. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Leave your past relationship bagg...

Leave your past relationship baggage at the door when you start a new relationship. Read more...