Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


US judge release FIFA guilty plea transcripts

19 April 2016, 13:54

Cape Town - A US judge released Monday transcripts of guilty pleas from three prominent defendants in the sweeping FIFA corruption investigation who confessed to crimes and agreed to pay $37.5m in compensation.

Former FIFA vice president Jeffrey Webb, Argentinian-Italian marketing executive Alejandro Burzaco and Brazilian intermediary Jose Margulies pled guilty last year to racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering conspiracies.

US prosecutors have in total accused 40 officials and marketing executives of soliciting and receiving tens of millions of dollars in bribes and kickbacks in a case that has sparked an unprecedented crisis at Fifa.

The transcripts released Monday show three of them expressing regret and suggesting that bribes were standard practice. All three, who are confined to US house arrest, will be sentenced for corruption in New York in June.

"I abused my position to obtain bribes and kickbacks for my personal benefit," Webb, who suffers from a heart condition, told the judge in pleading guilty to seven counts and confessing to enriching himself from 2012-2014.

He said he was told in 2012 that sports marketing companies would offer "side payments" or bribes in exchange for commercial rights to soccer matches.

"I believed that such offers were common in this business," he told the judge.

He confessed to receiving bribes for the sale of commercial rights for 2018 and 2022 World Cup qualifying matches, and in 2012, 2013 and 2014, including for the Copa America Centenario tournament, which will be held in June.

"I deeply regret my participation in this illegal conduct," said the dual Cayman Islands-British citizen who was educated in the United States.

He confessed to conspiring to defraud his employers and conspiracy to commit money laundering offenses by transmitting money from the United States to front accounts in Panama, the Cayman Islands and elsewhere.


After his confession, the court last November lifted his security detail and allowed him to leave home in Georgia seven days a week from 08:00 to 17:00, ostensibly to care for his then 18-month-old son.

His wife is a doctor in Atlanta, making Webb "solely responsible" for their child, the court heard. "He is a busy man," Judge Raymond Dearie said.

His freedom of movement was limited to a 20-mile (32-kilometer) radius and Webb was still subject to electronic tagging.

The documents, released following a request from US media, were still heavily redacted in parts.

Burzaco, 51, the former chairman of the board of Torneos y Competencias S.A., an Argentine sports marketing company, also voiced regret.

"I was wrong," he said, confessing to paying bribes and kickbacks totaling tens of millions of dollars to multiple soccer officials to obtain marketing rights to various tournaments.

"Torneos and I profited from these payments directly and indirectly by securing these rights," he said.

Court papers complained last month that Webb kept up a millionaire lifestyle quaffing champagne, gambling and partying while under arrest at the US home he may have purchased "with bribes and kickbacks."

In a letter to the US attorney's office, FIFA's lawyers requested an "immediate" audit of Webb's funds and assets, expressing concern that he may not have fully disclosed them to the court.

Fifteen individuals have pleaded guilty and agreed to cooperate with US prosecutors in exchange for a possible reduction in sentence.



Iwobi: I nearly signed for West Ham

28 October 2016, 16:20

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
What do men mean when they say th...

As much as men think they are the ones confused by relationships, they have a better idea of it than most women actually do. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Rift Valley leaders to hold meeti...

Rift Valley leaders will hold a meeting to decide DP William Ruto's place in the Jubilee Party following emergence of Peter Kenneth as a main challenger to his place within the current structure. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto, not Kenneth the main man...

DP William Ruto will be the main man for the Jubilee Party in 2022, Kiraitu Murungi insists. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Jittery times for DP Ruto as Kenn...

Peter Kenneth is a genuine threat to DP William Ruto's 2022 State House bid... and the DP's allies know it. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
I will name those sabotaging DP R...

A Jubilee Party Governor says that he will name and shame those within Jubilee he says are undermining DP William Ruto's 2022 State House plans. Read more...