Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Torres protests Barcelona red card

12 April 2016, 18:24

Cape Town - Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres said on Tuesday he was wrongly dismissed in last week's Champions League quarter final first leg with Barcelona.

The striker is suspended from Wednesday's second leg for getting sent off in the 35th minute at the Nou Camp for a double booking, shortly after giving Atletico the lead.

Barcelona took advantage of having an extra man, Luis Suarez's second-half double setting up a 2-1 win which Atletico must overturn without Torres at the Vicente Calderon.

"I'm convinced that the second yellow card was not a card, I felt a mix of impotence and frustration," Torres told Spanish radio station Cadena Ser on Tuesday, describing his foul on Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets.

"When I see it again I see a slip-up. It's not a kick nor a late tackle. The only argument is that it was an action that could have been avoided. My ambition to make it 2-0 ended up harming the team," he added.

"I'm certain that with 11 players we would have won. The following days after the game were difficult. It took two days to get over what happened. The moments after the sending off were the worst of my career. I just wanted to be alone."

Torres has two months left on his loan contract with Atletico, his boyhood club which he played for between 2001 and 2007 until moving to Liverpool. He later played for Chelsea and AC Milan before returning to Atletico on loan from Milan in January 2015.

Although he did not give details on where his immediate future lay, the 32-year-old said he wanted to emulate former Deportivo La Coruna veteran Juan Carlos Valeron and AS Roma captain Francesco Totti by extending his stay with Atletico.

"I would love to be the Valeron or Totti of Atleti, but today more than ever is not the time to talk about that," he added.

- Reuters


Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Helping you find the type of man ...

To put it simply, you can’t go looking for fish in a meat market; you have to go to a fish market. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Mudavadi set for 2 month long wes...

Musalia Mudavadi is set for western Kenya campaigns.

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
I need a miracle to win in 2017, ...

An MP says that he needs a miracle to win the 2017 elections but has not given up on victory despite the odds being against him. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Raila ungrateful for my help, MP ...

An MP says that he made ODM famous in Meru and has accused the party of ungratefulness despite his hard work. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
I'm ready for by-election today, ...

I'm ready for a by election, an angry ODM rebel MP tells Raila Odinga. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
ODM kicks 6 MPs out of Parliament...

ODM has kicked 6 rebel members out of house committees. Read more...