Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Roma won't focus on Ronaldo, says Spalletti

16 February 2016, 22:32

Rome - Roma coach Luciano Spalletti said he won't sacrifice players in a bid to shut down the threat of Cristiano Ronaldo when they host Real Madrid in the first leg of their Champions League last 16 tie.

And the Italian insisted the belief and ambition of his players, and not the past history of either club, will be key they look to upset the formbook at the Stadio Olimpico on Wednesday.

Real, who claimed a record 10th Champions League trophy in 2014, are among the favourites for this year's title alongside Bayern Munich and holders Barcelona.

Also read: Decade after Materazzi head butt, Zidane the focus in Italy

Although Welsh winger Gareth Bale is missing due to a calf strain, the world class trio of Ronaldo, Karim Benzema and James Rodriguez lead their three-pronged attack.

Real have also welcomed left-back Marcelo, who missed a 4-2 win over Athletic Bilbao at the weekend due to a a dislocated shoulder, back to their matchday squad.

Ronaldo hit a brace at the weekend, when Toni Kroos and James were also on the scoresheet. But Spalletti said the Portuguese forward won't come in for special attention, a tactic that could theoretically create space elsewhere on the pitch for Real to exploit.

"Ronaldo is one of the strongest players in the world and always makes a difference. He's a modern day footballer, strong and fast and capable of scoring lots of goals," said Spalletti.

"But I'm not going to use three of my players to close him down."

Spalletti is in his second spell at Roma after replacing sacked Frenchman Rudi Garcia recently, and, among his other achievements, boasts the feat of steering Roma to consecutive 2-1 wins over Real in the last 16 in 2008.

Real have made it to the semi-finals of the competition the past five seasons, claiming their historic 'Decima' two years ago when current manager Zinedine Zidane was assistant to Carlo Ancelotti.

Efforts to go one step further last year were rebuffed when Juventus claimed a 2-1 win in Turin and booked their final place against Barcelona thanks to a 1-1 draw at the Bernabeu.

But Spalletti said past experience will count for little.

"People are talking about experience, but that doesn't matter in games like this. What's important is having the determination and courage to go out there with some ambition," he said.

"We won't feel sorry for ourselves if we get beat, but we will if we don't give it everything."

Roma's patchy domestic form has seen them concede 27 times in 25 games, an unenvious statistic that does not leave their defensive game in a positive light.

But Greek defender Kosta Manolas said: "We defend and attack as a unit, but we have to try and not concede tomorrow so we're still in the tie come the second leg."

Spalletti admits it would be a surprise if they repeated their feats of 2008.

But the confidence that waned during the final weeks of Garcia's tenure is re-emerging, especially after a 3-1 win at Carpi at the weekend that allowed Roma to secure a fourth consecutive league win for the first time since October.

"In 2008 we went through and created a surprise. This year, it would be an even bigger surprise, but we like this kind of challenge," he added.

"We're back to winning ways and I can see us making a further leap forward. I expect to see us battling all the way to the finish in Madrid, and it wouldn't be a huge surprise for me either if we went through."



WRAP: English Premiership

23 October 2016, 09:33

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilon Ochieng
Labour Party to dump both Jubilee...

The Labour Party of Kenya is likely to avoid supportoing both the CORD and Jubilee factions during the 2017 General Elections. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Ukambani MP quits Jubilee, to run...

An Ukambani MP has quit the Jubilee Party, citing voter apathy as his reason behind leaving the ruling coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Government launches probe into Po...

The government has launched an inquiry into the circumstances that could have led to two National Police Service helicopter accidents in August and September this year. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...