Jury retires in Johnson under-age sex trial
01 March 2016, 22:30
London - The jury in the under-age sex trial of England international winger Adam Johnson was sent out to consider its verdicts on Tuesday.
Johnson, 28, has already pleaded guilty to grooming a 15-year-old girl and one charge of sexual activity with her. He was subsequently sacked by Premier League employers Sunderland.
But he denies two more serious counts of sexual activity with a child.
Judge Jonathan Rose told the jury of eight women and four men at Bradford Crown Court in northern England: "You must reach verdicts on which you are all agreed.
Also read: Magnificent
seven for goal-machine Adriano
"I can only accept unanimous verdicts in this case. 12-0 is the only possible score."
The charges relate to an incident that occurred after Johnson picked the girl up in his Range Rover in County Durham, northeast England on January 30 last year.
He has admitted that he kissed her, but told the jury that the encounter did not progress further.
She said that Johnson put his hands down her trousers and she performed oral sex on him.
Johnson, wearing a dark suit over a white shirt and black tie, listened to the judge's summing-up in the dock, flanked by a security guard.
His ex-girlfriend, Stacey Flounders, sat in the public gallery with members of his family.
Johnson began his career with Middlesbrough and returned to his native northeast in 2012 when he joined Sunderland from Manchester City in a 10 million ($15.3 million, 13.7 million euros) transfer.
He has been capped 12 times by England.