Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


FIFA investigators ask for 9-year Valcke ban

06 January 2016, 08:19

Lausanne - FIFA investigators on Tuesday requested a nine-year ban against the body's suspended secretary general Jerome Valcke, who was provisionally suspended from football in October for 90 days over corruption allegations.

The investigatory chamber of FIFA's ethics committee, world football's in-house prosecutor, also asked for Valcke's temporary suspension to be extended for 45 days while FIFA's judges weigh evidence against the organisation's former second-in-command.

In a statement, FIFA prosecutors accused Valcke of violating "the general rules of conduct," including "duty of disclosure, cooperating and reporting conflict of interest," while "accepting gifts and other benefits", among other charges.

Investigators also called for the 55-year-old Frenchman to pay a fine of $99,000.

Valcke's suspension followed allegations of involvement in a ticketing scam, in which he was accused of selling World Cup tickets on the black market at above their face value.

In a statement issued previously by his lawyer, Valcke fiercely denied what he described as "fabricated and outrageous" allegations.

He had previously been accused of being party to a potential $10-million bribe paid to former head of the North and Central America football governing body CONCACAF, Jack Warner.

Valcke's suspension was due to expire at midnight and judges in FIFA's adjudicatory chamber may approve an extension later Tuesday.

But even without that approval, Valcke will not return to work as he has also been banned indefinitely by FIFA's management, a penalty that is separate from the ethics committee suspension.

Valcke's link to alleged graft within world football goes back to 2006.

While serving as FIFA's marketing director, he was thrown out of the organisation over a scandal involving key sponsor Mastercard.

Valcke was found to have negotiated with MasterCard's rival VISA in violation of the former company's right of first negotiation, a mistake that cost FIFA $90 million in a settlement.

Six months later, FIFA president Sepp Blatter promoted Valcke to secretary general, and the two were reportedly close through much of the last decade.

Blatter, 79, has been banned from football for eight years and is the target of a criminal investigation by Switzerland's attorney general.

As part of their investigation, Swiss prosecutors reviewed Valcke's emails.

The allegations of involvement in a black market ticket scam came from emails sent to the British press by Israeli former professional footballer Benny Alon.

Valcke's potential downfall is the latest in world football, hit by an unprecedented series of scandals that have sparked demand for major reform across the globe.



WRAP: English Premiership

21 October 2016, 19:13

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Quit if you can't fight corruptio...

An MP has told President Uhuru Kenyatta to quit office if he cannot fight corruption. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Investigate Uhuru, Ruto for corru...

Investigate President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto's offices over corruption, CORD leader Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Its a 1 horse race to State House...

Its a 1 horse race to State House, DP William Ruto has mocked the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Enjoy your time left in power, We...

CORD Co Principal Moses Wetangu'la has told the Jubilee Coalition to enjoy its last few months in power before it is voted out in the 2017 elections. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Stop hiding in State House and sa...

ODM MP's have called on President Uhuru Kenyatta to release drought aid and to stop sitting on public funds. Read more...