Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Everton confirm Koeman as manager

14 June 2016, 15:14

Liverpool - Dutchman Ronald Koeman became the new manager of English Premier League club Everton on Tuesday after his previous club Southampton reluctantly agreed to release him a year early from his contract.

The 53-year-old - who guided Southampton to their highest finish in the Premier League of sixth last term and a place in the Europa League - signed a three-year contract with Everton and replaces Roberto Martinez, who was sacked just before the end of the Premier League campaign.

Koeman - who had said earlier this year he would see out the last year of his three-year contract with the Saints - has been lured to Everton by the promise by the club's major shareholder, Iranian billionaire Farhad Moshiri, of more than £100m for new signings.

Koeman, who has previously coached the big Dutch league trio of PSV, Feyenoord and Ajax, said it was a proud moment for him to take ove the reins despite their disappointing Premier League campaign which saw them finish 11th.

"I am very excited to be Everton manager," said Koeman, who was part of the outstanding Dutch side that won the Euro 1988 title.

"I believe in the club, in the team, in the fans and in our ability to achieve things in the future.

"Everton is a club with a great history and real ambition and it is a proud feeling for me to be part of what we want to go and do, together with the chairman (Bill Kenwright) and Farhad Moshiri.

"I am looking forward to meeting everyone at the club and to preparing for a big season in the Premier League."

Theatre impressario Kenwright said it was a huge moment for the club, having managed to wrest their top target away from their Premier League rivals.

"We are really pleased to have secured the man who was our No.1 target from the moment we set out to appoint a new manager," said Kenwright.

"Ronald has such a strong track record in the game, instantly commanding respect for what he achieved as a player and for his qualities and accomplishments as a manager.

"The hopes and aspirations that we all have as Evertonians are with him, as is our total support at board, shareholder and fan level."

- Sport24


Conte denies humiliating Jose

24 October 2016, 19:07

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Why do men choose second wives?

Why do men choose to have second wives?

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
Udada women's festival begins in ...

The Udada women's festival has arrived in Nairobi.

Submitted by
Eugene Odanga
WATCH: Kaka Sungura arrested in t...

Was Kaka Sungura arrested in town?

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Ababu chased by rowdy youth durin...

Ababu Namwamba was chased off by rowdy youth in a rally, after being accused of supporting the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Has Uhuru done enough for Kenyan ...

Has President Uhuru Kenyatta done enough to lift the lives of Kenyan youth? Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
COMMENT: Peter Kenneth adds no va...

Peter Kenneth adds no value to the Jubilee Party's 2017 bid, experts argue. Read more...