Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Blatter plans to attend 2018 World Cup as Putin's guest: report

24 March 2016, 14:23

Berlin (AFP) -Disgraced ex-FIFA president Sepp Blatter says he plans to attend the 2018 World Cup finals as a guest of Russian President Vladimir Putin, which would currently contravene his six-year ban.

According to a report in the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ), Blatter this week wrote to accept Putin's offer to be his guest of honour for the 2018 finals.

"If I am invited, I take care to accept invitations," Blatter told the German daily.

The 80-year-old is serving a six-year ban for a suspect $2 million dollar payment to UEFA boss Michel Platini which means he can only attend football matches as a paying member of the public.

Both Blatter and Platini were hit with eight-year bans by a FIFA ethics court in December, which were then reduced to six years by the appeals panel.

But Blatter hopes to have his ban from all football activities overturned by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) when his appeal is heard in the coming months.

So until he hears otherwise, Blatter assumes he will be in Russia when the next World Cup starts on June 14, 2018.

"I am not a prophet and I don't know what the world will look like in 2018," he said.

Since he was first provisionally suspended in October last year, Blatter has not entered a football stadium.

He has not even been allowed to enter his office at FIFA's headquarters in Zurich and his personal effects were sent to him in crates.


Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Man who attacked US Embassy a 24 ...

A man who attacked the US Embassy in Nairobi was a 24 year old from Wajir County. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
US Embassy to remain closed Frida...

The US Embassy in Nairobi will remain closed Friday following a terror attack on it Thursday. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...