Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Blatter 'available to defend FIFA'

16 April 2016, 12:04

Basel - Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter said on Friday he "is available" to appear as a witness at a United States trial into mass corruption in world football.

"Yes. When they need me to defend FIFA, I will be available," Blatter said, when asked if he would be prepared to attend the trial into the sweeping bribery scandal that has sparked an unprecedented crisis at the top of the game.

US prosecutors were hoping the hearing of 39 officials and marketing executives accused of soliciting and receiving tens of millions of dollars in bribes and kickbacks would begin in February 2017.

But on Thursday, the US judge overseeing the corruption scandal postponed setting a trial date until after prosecutors share the bulk of evidence being collated in the massive investigation.

Blatter, with suspended European football chief Michel Platini, was banned from all football activities for eight years in December over an infamous $2 million payment Platini received in 2011 from the then-FIFA president.

The suspensions were cut to six years in February.

Blatter, since replaced as FIFA president by Gianni Infantino, is awaiting a date for an appeal against his ban to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

Platini was told earlier on Friday his CAS appeal will be heard on April 29.

Blatter, attending a debate on FIFA reforms at Basel University, commented: "It's good news that CAS has made progress with Platini's case. I think my case will be handled shortly after."

The 80-year-old Swiss added: "I believe that now, finally, at CAS, they are going to talk about justice, and not just speculation.

"That means it's justice that will prove if the accused is guilty and not the accused who has to prove his innocence."

He says his appeal is based on the principle that "the Blatters pay their debts".

He explained: "There was a contract between the FIFA president and Platini, an oral contract and then indeed a written one.

"And so I paid the debt, generally when you pay a debt you are thanked. But in this case because I paid the debt I'm punished.

"According to the principles instilled in me by my father who for me was a paragon of virtue, ' we, Blatters, pay our debts'.

"And that's also the principle that we adhere to at FIFA."

He made clear that should CAS reject his appeal, he will not give up trying to clear his name.

"There are other ways to get the ban lifted," he suggested, saying he could take his case to Swiss justice, or take out a civil action.

"But for me I'm confident CAS will overturn the decision," he stated.

Irrespective of the outcome of his CAS hearing, Blatter plans to attend the 2018 World Cup finals in Russia as a guest of Russian President Vladimir Putin, although if he were to attend a match he would be flouting the terms of his suspension.

"I've got an invitation to go to Russia," he said.

"I will go Russia. Going to Russia doesn't mean that I'm going to watch games. They can't stop me travelling. I go where I want to."

He refused to pass comment on his successor Infantino's performance since taking over the top job in football in February.

"I don't have a verdict. I don't even know his programme and I'm letting him get on with it."



Mikel: I respect Conte's decisions

26 October 2016, 20:51

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Cyril Mike Odhiz
Kenyans furious on young lady aft...

A young Kenyan woman is the talk of town after she posted a photo with her elderly lover after a round of steamy sex, or so the photo suggested.  Read more...

Submitted by
Kiplangat langat
Uhuru could be a one term Presid...

Bomet governor Isaac Ruto has said that President Uhuru Kenyatta could be a one term President if he fails to increase allocations to the counties. Read more...

Submitted by
Mody Sammy
35 year old farmer a new milliona...

A 35 year old farmer from Mpeketoni Lamu county has become the latest millionaire in town as she became winner in the ongoing ‘Shinda Mamili na Story Ibambe’. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Leave your past relationship bagg...

Leave your past relationship baggage at the door when you start a new relationship. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Advice from a young married Kenya...

I was just going to get water in the office kitchen and thought a simple hi was fine until I ended up in an hour long conversation with someone. Read more...

Submitted by
Shakila Alivitsa
Helping you find the type of man ...

To put it simply, you can’t go looking for fish in a meat market; you have to go to a fish market. Read more...