Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Benzema pleads 'misunderstanding' in sex-tape case

02 December 2015, 19:04

Paris - Karim Benzema says his go-between role in the Mathieu Valbuena sextape blackmail case has been misunderstood as the Real Madrid striker prepares to explain himself on French TV on Wednesday.

The pre-recorded interview comes after French Prime Minister Manuel Valls on Tuesday suggested only players with exemplary records should represent France at Euro 2016.

"I hope it all turns out well for all of us, for Mattieu, myself and my mate (a childhood friend of Benzema's also arrested in the case)," Benzema told TF1 in extracts broadcast by the LCI news channel.

"I hope we get back in the France team and that we win the Euro," he insisted.

The 27-year-old has been charged with complicity to blackmail and conspiring to commit a criminal act by the prosecutor's office in Versailles, charges that carry a maximum five years prison sentence.

"It's all a huge misunderstanding," Benzema told a judge last month, according to an article in Le Monde.

"All I was doing was trying to help. There's nothing to any of it, no blackmail or demands for money."

The scandal is a serious distraction to France before they host Euro 2016 -- Benzema is forbidden to have any contact with Valbuena, 31, and neither was called up for France's recent friendlies against Germany and England.

In sporting terms Benzema is seen as France's top striker, but Les Bleus have a wealth of other attacking options and a record of leaving trouble-makers out of squads for international tournaments.

The blackmail case began in June, when Valbuena lodged a complaint with police after being telephoned by a man who said he had the sex tape.

Four men, including a friend of Benzema, Karim Zenati, have been charged and detained over the blackmail using the stolen sex-tape.

Benzema is alleged to have approached Valbuena about the images at a France national training camp on October 5.

The former Lyon star says he had no need of money nor did one of the accused, Karim Zenati, as he was employed in one of Benzema's companies.

A police telephone tap however on Benzema and his calls to Zenati cast doubts on their attitude.

"I'm mad with myself for having talked that way on the phone, we went too far," Benzema said of comments that appeared to mock Valbuena.

The victim of the affair, Valbuena, in his first public comments told Le Monde last week he was "very, very, very disappointed" by Benzema.

Benzema's lawyer Alain Jakubowicz told Wednesday's le Parisien newspaper that the player would use Wednesday's tv interview to apologise to Valbuena for those unfriendly remarks.

The lawyer also used the Le Parisien to hit out at the French prime minister's comments over his clients potential exclusion from the France squad asking : "Is this a prime minister's words or those of a Barcelona fan talking about a Real Madrid player."

Valls hails from the Catalonia region and was in hot water himself in June for using a French government jet to fly himself and his son to Berlin to the Champions League final featuring Barcelona.

Jakubowicz later told RTL radio he would sue Le Monde for contempt of court for having revealed details of Benzema's testimony, adding the revelations would aid the player's defence.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!



7 arrests over violence at West Ham

27 October 2016, 18:00

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Leave ODM if you are unhappy, Rai...

Leave ODM if you are not happy, Raila Odinga tells Senator. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Former Assistant Minister joins J...

A former Assistant Minister has quit PNU and joined the Jubilee Party. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
DP Ruto intervenes as Kerio Valle...

DP William Ruto will visit Kerio Valley to try solve never-ending clashes between local residents. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
ODM MP chased down by angry Kibra...

Kibra MP Ken Okoth had a hard time in his constituency after angry youth pelted him with stones. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Prepare for DP Ruto fight in 2022...

An MP has warned that the Kalenjin Community will not stand back and watch as DP Ruto is duped ahead of the 2022 polls. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be careful who you deal with, DP ...

Watch out for your political future, DP William Ruto has been warned. Read more...