Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Benzema edges closer to France return after legal ruling

18 February 2016, 20:51

Paris - The legal restrictions on France and Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema over his alleged involvement in a sextape case have been partially lifted but he is still not allowed to contact international teammate Mathieu Valbuena, a judiciary source said Thursday.

The investigating magistrate in the case ruled that the legal constraints can be removed, but prosecutors immediately appealed against the decision, meaning that the ban on the two men contacting each other or meeting remains in place for now.

But if the judge's decision to lift the restrictions are upheld, it could pave the way for Benzema to return to the national team in time for Euro 2016, which France is hosting.

Also read: Zidane keeps cool as Real march on

France kick off the tournament against Romania on June 10.

France coach Didier Deschamps suspended Benzema from the national team after he was placed under formal investigation in November for alleged complicity in a blackmail attempt targeting Valbuena.

"The investigating magistrate decided to partially lift the judicial restriction, in removing the ban on contacting Mathieu Valbuena," the prosecutors' office said, but the subsequent appeal means the ban remains in place for now.

Benzema, 28, has continued to play for Real Madrid and started against Roma in the Spanish giants' 2-0 victory in the first leg of their last 16 Champions League match on Wednesday.

He has denied any wrongdoing but could face a five-year jail term if found guilty.

Benzema is said to have approached Lyon play-maker Valbuena about the tape at a national team training camp in October.

Valbuena has said the sex images were on a mobile telephone that was stolen.

Three men were arrested and held in custody over demands for Valbuena to pay cash to have the tape destroyed, but they were released last week.



Read more from our Users

Submitted by
William Korir
CORD to stop Jubilee efforts to r...

The CORD Coalition will not allow plans to remove Kenya from the Rome Statutes take place, it has said. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
How long will it take Kenya to le...

Kenya is looking to leave the ICC. But what is the process behind the exit? Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Jubilee resumes efforts to push K...

Kenya will this week resume efforts to leave the ICC court. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
How to treat him right

Men want to go home to a woman who makes them feel loved and appreciated. Here's how to make him feel special here: Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Kenyans demand action after femal...

This comes a few days after a female passenger was drugged and then robbed in a matatu plying the Kenyatta – Kencom route. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Natural aphrodisiacs to boost lib...

It is advisable to take them before sex in order to achieve maximum benefit. Read more...