Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Benzema edges closer to France return after legal ruling

18 February 2016, 17:36

Paris - The legal restrictions on France and Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema over his alleged involvement in a sextape case have been partially lifted, allowing him to contact international teammate Mathieu Valbuena, a judiciary source said Thursday.

The investigating magistrate in the case ruled that the legal constraints can be removed, but prosecutors immediately appealed against the decision, with the case to be heard before a court in Versailles, outside Paris on March 4.

Wednesday's ruling "is immediately enforceable", the prosecutors' office said in a statement.

"The investigating magistrate decided to partially lift the judicial restriction, in removing the ban on contacting Mathieu Valbuena," the statement said, adding: "The ban on contacting the others indicted ... is maintained."

But if the judge's decision to lift the restrictions are upheld, it could pave the way for Benzema to return to the national team in time for Euro 2016, which France is hosting.

France kick off the tournament against Romania on June 10.

France coach Didier Deschamps suspended Benzema from the national team after he was placed under formal investigation in November for alleged complicity in a blackmail attempt targeting Valbuena.

Benzema, 28, has continued to play for Real Madrid and started against Roma in the Spanish giants' 2-0 victory in the first leg of their last 16 Champions League match on Wednesday.

He has denied any wrongdoing but could face a five-year jail term if found guilty.

Benzema is said to have approached Lyon playmaker Valbuena about the tape at a national team training camp in October.

Valbuena has said the sex images were on a mobile telephone that was stolen.

Three men were arrested and held in custody over demands for Valbuena to pay cash to have the tape destroyed, but they were released last week.

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page!



Read more from our Users

Submitted by
William Korir
ODM kicks 6 MPs out of Parliament...

ODM has kicked 6 rebel members out of house committees. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Karua now headed to Jubilee?

Is Martha Karua now headed to the Jubilee Coalition? Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Kenneth defends move to support U...

Peter Kenneth says that moving to support President Uhuru Kenyatta and the Jubilee Party is his democratic choice. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
How to keep her interested

It is not only men who lose interest in relationships. Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
What to do after breakup

Your life does not end after breakup. Here are tips to move on: Read more...

Submitted by
S Mbinya
Rare gift for President Uhuru Ken...

Young Jubilee supporters have a rare surprise gift for the President. Read more...