Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Belgium team cancels practice after Brussels attacks

22 March 2016, 18:05

Brussels - Belgium's national soccer team called off a practice session in Brussels on Tuesday after the city was hit by what authorities are calling terror attacks.

"Our thoughts are with the victims. Football is not important today," the Belgian soccer federation wrote in a Twitter message. "Training cancelled."

Belgium will host Portugal in a friendly match next Tuesday at the King Baudouin Stadium in Brussels. The game is scheduled as a warmup for both teams ahead of this year's European Championship.

The Portuguese soccer federation said it was in contact with Belgian authorities about security arrangements for the match.

Three explosions early Tuesday at the Brussels airport and a metro station have been called terror attacks by Belgian authorities. At least 15 people died and 55 were injured by a bomb at the Maelbeek metro station near European Union offices.

"Prayers & thoughts go to all families and friends of the victims," Belgium midfielder Axel Witsel posted on his Twitter account.

One international soccer player was at the Zavantem airport where two explosions were reported. Norwich forward Dieumerci Mbokani, who is from Congo, was "unharmed but shaken by the tragic events," the English club said in a statement.

Mbokani was visiting family in Brussels, where he played for Anderlecht for two seasons until 2013.

Belgium is now on high terror alert ahead of cycling's peak season for one-day classic road races, including the Tour of Flanders on April 3.

The spring season starts Wednesday with the Dwars door Vlaanderen (Across Flanders) race, which covers a 200-kilometer (124-mile) route around Waregem in west Belgium.

Organizers met with police on Tuesday and later said in a statement the second-tier race would go ahead as planned.

"For the moment, Dwars door Vlaanderen will take place (Wednesday), despite the terrorist attacks that took place in Brussels on Tuesday morning," the statement said. "The organizers mourn with the victims of these terrible acts. More information in due time."

It was unclear if all riders and team officials intending to travel via Brussels airport would be able to arrive for the race.

- AP


Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Jayne Zack
I am in ODM to stay, Busia Depu...

Busia Deputy Governor Kizito Wangalwa told Deputy President William on the face that he was in the Orange Democratic Movement to stay. Read more...

Boda Boda operators in Bahati rai...

Motorbike Boda Boda operators from Bahati Sub county on Tuesday took to the streets of Nakuru’s CBD lamenting over what they term is harassment by patrol police officers in the area. Read more...

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Human Rights activist lives in fe...

The Human rights fraternity in Mombasa is currently living in fear after the home of one of the vocal human rights champion was invaded on Monday night. Read more...

Submitted by
kel wesh
Poisonous milk powder siezed by K...

The Kenya Revenue Authority has seized two containers with illegal milk powder which had been declared as gypsum board at Mombasa port. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Be ready for protests, Raila warn...

Expect protests if meddling with Auditor General continues, Raila Odinga has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Kenya says will return to interna...

Kenya will return to international markets to borrow when it feels the time is right, National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Henry Rotich said on Tuesday. Read more...