Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Begovic rubbishes Chelsea exit talk

07 October 2016, 16:06

Cape Town - Chelsea keeper Asmir Begovic has rubbished speculation that he could have left Stamford Bridge during the summer.

Back-up stopper Begovic has started just 15 Premier League games since moving from Stoke City last year, with Everton and Sunderland among the sides linked with the Bosnian prior to the start of the season.

But despite Chelsea boosting their goalkeeping ranks with the capture of Portugese international Eduardo, Begovic insists boss Antonio Conte made it clear that he was part of his plans.

Conte is keen to maintain competition for first-choice keeper Thibaut Courtois, with Begovic seemingly happy to be a bit-part figure.

Begovic said: “It was a clear situation. He (Conte) made it clear, his philosophy. I never talked about leaving.

“Of course I want to play but at a big club you also have to accept you are part of a squad going for several trophies, different cups and be part of a big group.

“It’s nice that the manager wants you to be part of that. We have three top keepers. We train hard, we need to stay at the top of our games.”

Courtois has come under scrutiny during Chelsea’s troubles over recent weeks, with Conte’s side ending a three-game winless run with victory at Hull last weekend.

However, Begovic believes it is entirely normal that Chelsea are experiencing teething troubles under a new manager.

“We had a good start, first four games we played really well, everything was going our way and then we had a couple of bad results with Arsenal and Liverpool,” he added to the Daily Mirror.

“I think it is teething problems. You have to go through a process before it becomes a success. It takes a bit of time. As time goes on, we know more what to expect and what he expects from us.”

- Sport24


Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Wilwon Ochieng
Deputy Governor's ally found with...

The EACC has recovered KES 2 million in fake currency from a close ally of Deputy Governor for Tharaka Nithi Eliud Mati. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Mudavadi given permission to join...

Musalia Mudavadi has been ghranted permission by his party to join the CORD Coalition. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
EACC officers raid Deputy Governo...

EACC officers raided the home of a Deputy Governor as theft case continues in court. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
New IEBC bosses to be named Novem...

New IEBC bosses will be named on November 30. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
DP Ruto has spoilt my name, activ...

DP William Ruto has spoilt my name, activist complains. Read more...

Submitted by
Wilson Ochieng
Apologise for attack on Auditor G...

Apologise for attack on Auditor General, President Uhuru Kenyatta is told by Kisumu Senator Anyang Nyong'o. Read more...